Dec 8, 2010, 8:23 AM EDT
When last we considered Cliff Lee, we were hearing word that he had two seven-year offers on the table. The guy reporting that was Jon Heyman. Since then, many people have voiced their skepticism that there really are two seven-year offers out there. And not just guys like me who consider Heyman to be a fairly untrustworthy source of anonymous offer rumors. Guys like Ken Davidoff and Joel Sherman — who tend to be more right more often about such matters — are doubting Heyman here. Worth noting.
But even if the specific rumors of seven-year deals are questionable, there is no question that there are a lot of teams interested in him. the Washington rumors won’t go away, and now people are saying that Anaheim may be talking to Lee’s agent as well. Throw in the obvious suspects of New York and Texas, and a bidding war could erupt.
I just don’t believe it will be a bidding war in which seven year offers are thrown around.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 120
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 27
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (124)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)