Dec 8, 2010, 8:23 AM EDT
When last we considered Cliff Lee, we were hearing word that he had two seven-year offers on the table. The guy reporting that was Jon Heyman. Since then, many people have voiced their skepticism that there really are two seven-year offers out there. And not just guys like me who consider Heyman to be a fairly untrustworthy source of anonymous offer rumors. Guys like Ken Davidoff and Joel Sherman — who tend to be more right more often about such matters — are doubting Heyman here. Worth noting.
But even if the specific rumors of seven-year deals are questionable, there is no question that there are a lot of teams interested in him. the Washington rumors won’t go away, and now people are saying that Anaheim may be talking to Lee’s agent as well. Throw in the obvious suspects of New York and Texas, and a bidding war could erupt.
I just don’t believe it will be a bidding war in which seven year offers are thrown around.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 42
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 92
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)