Dec 8, 2010, 8:23 AM EDT
When last we considered Cliff Lee, we were hearing word that he had two seven-year offers on the table. The guy reporting that was Jon Heyman. Since then, many people have voiced their skepticism that there really are two seven-year offers out there. And not just guys like me who consider Heyman to be a fairly untrustworthy source of anonymous offer rumors. Guys like Ken Davidoff and Joel Sherman — who tend to be more right more often about such matters — are doubting Heyman here. Worth noting.
But even if the specific rumors of seven-year deals are questionable, there is no question that there are a lot of teams interested in him. the Washington rumors won’t go away, and now people are saying that Anaheim may be talking to Lee’s agent as well. Throw in the obvious suspects of New York and Texas, and a bidding war could erupt.
I just don’t believe it will be a bidding war in which seven year offers are thrown around.
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 3
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 31
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 56
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 40
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (108)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings