Dec 8, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
Bob Dutton reports the specifics of the Jeff Francoeur deal: $2.5 million with bonuses that could be worth $500,000. There’s also a mutual option for 2012 at $3 million. He also gets $100 million if he leads the league in walks.
OK, maybe not. But I’d put that in there if I was Kansas City just to see what happens.
My original take on the signing is here. The numbers don’t change it much. $2.5 million is not a ton for the guy. There’s a chance he could be something approaching useful. If he somehow managed to finally tap his potential he could be a genuine bargain. Ultimately, though, he’s a bridge for the Royals until some of their stud prospects come to the big club in 2012 or 2013.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)