The Royals will pay Francoeur $2.5 million

Dec 8, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT

MLB_Francoeur_250

Bob Dutton reports the specifics of the Jeff Francoeur deal: $2.5 million with bonuses that could be worth $500,000. There’s also a mutual option for 2012 at $3 million.  He also gets $100 million if he leads the league in walks.

OK, maybe not. But I’d put that in there if I was Kansas City just to see what happens.

My original take on the signing is here.  The numbers don’t change it much. $2.5 million is not a ton for the guy. There’s a chance he could be something approaching useful.  If he somehow managed to finally tap his potential he could be a genuine bargain.  Ultimately, though, he’s a bridge for the Royals until some of their stud prospects come to the big club in 2012 or 2013.

1. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Darn, you’ll still have Frenchie to kick around.

2. kcfanatic - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:51 PM

His biggest upside is that he is not Jose Guillen!

3. iranuke - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Does this mean that $2.5 million is now the price for mediocrity in baseball?

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Not sure I like this picture choice either, Craig. Here use this one next time you post something related to Francoeur: http://www.hms.harvard.edu/orsp/coms/images/B_hazard.gif

5. Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 3:03 PM

You Braves fans are like a woman scorned aren’t you?? I think Frenchies “pretty fly” for a white guy myself.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 8, 2010 at 3:18 PM

You’ve changed your tune a bit now that you can breath again since he’s not coming to Philly, haven’t you?

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Yeah…. See I was hoping and praying the Phillies would trade for an OF better than Francoeur is. And if they signed FA Francoeur, that means I’m beat, no trade. I still can have hope that Amaro will trade for a better OF. I still think he’s not as bad as Braves fans would like us to think either. In all reality the worst thing Frenchy did was not live up to the expectations of the fans in Atlanta, which isn’t any fault of his. I’m sure he always tried his best. And he was never the worst player on the team either. But yeah, there is relief, because i think the Phillies can do better, they have the $$$.

6. thelucasjj - Dec 8, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Craig’s closet must be filling up fast. This makes the fourth Francoeur jersey he has had to buy.

7. aburns77 - Dec 8, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I love it, I think some team needs to sign him every year for comedy purposes. not only is the guy spectacularly bad, but he’s got a big mouth, its a winning combination.

8. disulfide - Dec 8, 2010 at 4:58 PM

That means there’s still a chance that the Phil’s could bring back Glenn Wilson! YES!

9. The Rabbit - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I (and the rest of the world) received an e-mail from the Royals regarding Frenchy’s signing. The management quotes regarding this spectacular acquisition are priceless.

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. V. Martinez (2428)