Dec 9, 2010, 1:12 AM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that one of those two mystery seven-year offers for Cliff Lee came from the Red Sox before the team signed Carl Crawford.
An official with another team told Rosenthal that the Red Sox made the offer, but that it wasn’t for a comparable salary to what Lee figured to be offered elsewhere. The idea perhaps was to give Lee a seven-year deal to shop around, most notably to the Yankees. It’d be gamesmanship at its best.
As for the Angels’ offer to Crawford, a source told Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News that it was seven years and $108 million, a full $34 million less than he got from the Red Sox.
We’re pretty skeptical of that info; $108 million for seven years works out to $15.42 million per season. Possibly they offered $15 million per year for seven years and then a $3 million buyout as part of an eighth-year option. That’d be a hard offer to take seriously in this climate, though.
More likely is that Feinsand’s source was a bit off and the Angels offered $108 million for six years, or $18 million per year. That’s a substantial proposal, though it certainly wasn’t likely to get the job done after Jayson Werth got that same $18 million per year for seven seasons.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 4
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 9
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 28
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (91)