Dec 9, 2010, 1:12 AM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that one of those two mystery seven-year offers for Cliff Lee came from the Red Sox before the team signed Carl Crawford.
An official with another team told Rosenthal that the Red Sox made the offer, but that it wasn’t for a comparable salary to what Lee figured to be offered elsewhere. The idea perhaps was to give Lee a seven-year deal to shop around, most notably to the Yankees. It’d be gamesmanship at its best.
As for the Angels’ offer to Crawford, a source told Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News that it was seven years and $108 million, a full $34 million less than he got from the Red Sox.
We’re pretty skeptical of that info; $108 million for seven years works out to $15.42 million per season. Possibly they offered $15 million per year for seven years and then a $3 million buyout as part of an eighth-year option. That’d be a hard offer to take seriously in this climate, though.
More likely is that Feinsand’s source was a bit off and the Angels offered $108 million for six years, or $18 million per year. That’s a substantial proposal, though it certainly wasn’t likely to get the job done after Jayson Werth got that same $18 million per year for seven seasons.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)