Dec 9, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Last night Nolan Ryan talked about the Rangers wanting agent Darek Braunecker to “tell them what it would take to sign” Cliff Lee.
This afternoon Braunecker responded by speaking to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com about Ryan’s request and basically pointed out that negotiations where one side is fielding offers from multiple bidders don’t really work that way.
Here’s more from Braunecker:
We have no interest in participating in the unconventional negotiating style the club has requested. For the player to submit an offer to the club … that’s not the way the process works.
In other words, why should Braunecker “tell them what it would take to sign” Lee when not telling them could lead to the Rangers bidding more than “it would take.”
At this point it appears as though Braunecker has done everything right and manipulated the situation perfectly, so it’s no surprise that he balked at Ryan’s request. Rangers officials are reportedly traveling to Arkansas today to meet with Lee and Braunecker, but Ryan hinted yesterday that the Yankees adding a seventh year to their offer “makes it more challenging for us.”
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)