Game over? Yankees offer a seventh year to Cliff Lee

Dec 9, 2010, 9:56 AM EDT

Cliff Lee

Yesterday the Yankees reportedly offered Cliff Lee a six-year, $140 million contract, but now both Jon Heyman of SI.com and Buster Olney of ESPN.com report that they’ve bumped the offer up to seven years.

Previous speculation had the Yankees refusing to add a seventh year to the deal, but that was before Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth each inked monster seven-year pacts and before the Red Sox reportedly offered Lee a seven-year deal of their own (perhaps with the sole intention of messing with the Yankees).

New York has always been viewed as the favorite to land Lee, so if the Yankees have indeed offered him a seven-year deal that’s likely in the same neighborhood as CC Sabathia’s seven-year, $161 million contract it’s tough to see the Rangers or anyone else topping it.

1. BC - Dec 9, 2010 at 10:06 AM

32 years old with a history of back problems, exactly two monster years, and one-and-a-half good postseasons. And they give him 7 years?
    The inmates are officially running the asylum now.
    I’m going to go curl up with some Nardil and a brandy chaser now. Peace out.

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM

The inmates have been running the asylum ever since Tom Hicks signed ARod to the first 10 year $252M contract and the previous Red Sox ownership signed Manny to I believe a 10 year $200M contract (with option years) at the start of the century. It is what it is.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM

The inmates are the ones everyone wants to see, pay to see, and talk about…they are the ones that should be making the most money, not those that simply facilitate the exhibition.

• Ari Collins - Dec 9, 2010 at 11:25 AM

+1 to paperlions

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Except without the “facilitators” there is no exhibition.

2. phukyouk - Dec 9, 2010 at 10:09 AM

SERIOUSLY! they outbid themselves once again?
    BC: Hey Cliff how does 6 yrs 144 Mil sound?
    CL: WOW! that sounds super. give me some time to think about it]
    BC: so you liked it? how does 7 yrs and 161 Mil sound
    CL: Let me just change my shorts and show me where to sign

• BC - Dec 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM

BTW… A disclaimer: my blogging name does not serve to indicate I am Brian Cashman. Though we share an equally thinning hairline…

• phukyouk - Dec 9, 2010 at 10:22 AM

HAHAHAHAHA i saw that right after i posted. you wish you had BC money tho….

• Utley's Hair - Dec 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I’ve never seen you and Cashman in the same room at the same time…what assurances can you provide to that end?

• phukyouk - Dec 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM

come to think of it.. i’ve never seen you and Utley in the same room. how do we know that YOU are his real hair and not some impersonator?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 9, 2010 at 11:50 AM

You don’t. All that product has given me a life of my own.

• Charles Gates - Dec 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM

And BC, a birth certificate proving you’re not Brian Cashman will not suffice, because some will refuse it exists.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 9, 2010 at 12:08 PM

HA!!!!!! Good one.

3. uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Well I guess in light of the signings of Crawford, Gonzalez and Werth seven years was inevitable. Seven years is a long time to extend any ballplayers contract, but especially a pitcher. If the above report is correct I’m glad the Yankees will get him (hopefully). I’m not so happy about the 7years. I hope the Yankees get at least 4 or 5 good years out of him, then they can always work around his contract. Again if the above report is correct and the Yankees were willing to go $150M for 6 years, while this report is for an additional year it’s only for an additional $11M over the length of the contract. What’s $11M among friends. Again I think it was inevitable in light of the “other” signings. Since it’s not my $160M+/-, I say let the games begin.
    Now on to signing Wood and hopefully resigning Andy Pettitte. Then all will be good in the Yankee Universe.

• gt929 - Dec 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Well, UYF, does the 5th, 6th or 7th year really matter Yankeeland? Like AJ, it will just be a minor annoyance if he is making crazy money and not producing. Lincecum should be for sale by then.

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2010 at 10:47 AM

He’ll be producing it’s just a matter of how much he’ll be producing. While I said that length of contract is ridiculous in my view. Who really knows what starting pitchers will command in salary 5 years from now. Twenty Million Dollars might be the norm for a #3 starter by then. We shall see gt929.
        About Lincecum, I’m not big on pitchers who will have spent their entire careers in the NL (there are exception of course). New York and Yankee Stadium is a tough place to pitch if a pitcher isn’t used to it. Witness Randy Johnson he never really acclimated himself to NY. Before anyone corrects me, I know Johnson did not spend his entire career in the NL I was merely making a point that NY is not for everyone there is a lot of pressure associated with pitching in NY.

• gt929 - Dec 9, 2010 at 10:48 AM

woops …matter ‘in’ Yankeeland…

• bigharold - Dec 9, 2010 at 2:14 PM

“Lincecum should be for sale by then.”

Nope, King Felix!

4. kellyb9 - Dec 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM

6 years, 7 years, who cares? I love all the Yankees fans on this board debating the terms of a contract that are ultimately meaningless. The Yankees can afford to do it. They can afford to have a guy like this crap out at the backend of his contract. Hell, he can crap out a year into this contract. Doesn’t matter…. they’re the Yankees. No other team in the league can afford that type of liability. It’s not a matter of parity, although I can argue there really is none – bad management is the only reason this team doesnt win the world series every year.

• phukyouk - Dec 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Agreed! the Yanks won it all in 09 in SPITE of Girardi’s bumbling bulls**t. 3 more yrs of joe.. yay

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2010 at 11:53 AM

To kellyb9 – I’m curious how many Yankee fans do you think there were/are posting at the time of your post? I’m also happy to know that you have an intimate knowledge of the Yankees finances, since it’s a privately held company. Because to be fair I don’t see Yankee “fans” doing anything you claim in your post. In my case I wasn’t “debating” anyone I was sharing my “opinion”. There is a difference.

• Charles Gates - Dec 9, 2010 at 12:07 PM

@kellyb9 No other team in the league can afford that type of liability
      There are some folks in Bahston attempting to disprove you.

• bigharold - Dec 9, 2010 at 2:16 PM

“…bad management is the only reason this team doesnt win the world series every year.”

That and the fact that the games actually have to be played.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3435)