Dec 9, 2010, 12:35 AM EDT
Boston’s big investment comes with big ramifications, and since the market’s top position player is off the board, several pieces should fall into place over the next couple of weeks.
– The Yankees pretty much have to do what it takes to land Cliff Lee now, and that probably means upping the ante to seven years. After all, that’s what Crawford and Jayson Werth received. The only viable plan B for the Bombers is Zack Greinke, and the Yankees would face stiff competition for him as well.
– The top remaining position player on the board, Adrian Beltre, seems destined for Anaheim. The Angels have plenty of money to spend and a clear need at third base. All indications were that Crawford was their top priority, and they’re going to be very disappointed to have missed out on him. However, they could end up spending $14 million per year on Beltre and use the rest of the money earmarked for Crawford on bullpen help. They’re the clear favorites for Rafael Soriano now.
– The Rangers could be left with a lot of money and nothing to spend it on. Signing Beltre and trading Michael Young might work in theory, but it’d be difficult to pull off. Beltre presumably prefers the West Coast anyway. The Royals aren’t happy with what they’ve offered for Greinke. The return of Vladimir Guerrero to Arlington is appearing more and more likely.
– Now that the Red Sox have already committed their first-round pick to signing Crawford, expect them to go hard after Scott Downs. They might not have wanted to give up a first-rounder for a reliever, but a second-rounder is just fine, particularly since they’ll be getting two picks apiece for losing Victor Martinez and Beltre.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)