Dec 9, 2010, 12:35 AM EDT
Boston’s big investment comes with big ramifications, and since the market’s top position player is off the board, several pieces should fall into place over the next couple of weeks.
– The Yankees pretty much have to do what it takes to land Cliff Lee now, and that probably means upping the ante to seven years. After all, that’s what Crawford and Jayson Werth received. The only viable plan B for the Bombers is Zack Greinke, and the Yankees would face stiff competition for him as well.
– The top remaining position player on the board, Adrian Beltre, seems destined for Anaheim. The Angels have plenty of money to spend and a clear need at third base. All indications were that Crawford was their top priority, and they’re going to be very disappointed to have missed out on him. However, they could end up spending $14 million per year on Beltre and use the rest of the money earmarked for Crawford on bullpen help. They’re the clear favorites for Rafael Soriano now.
– The Rangers could be left with a lot of money and nothing to spend it on. Signing Beltre and trading Michael Young might work in theory, but it’d be difficult to pull off. Beltre presumably prefers the West Coast anyway. The Royals aren’t happy with what they’ve offered for Greinke. The return of Vladimir Guerrero to Arlington is appearing more and more likely.
– Now that the Red Sox have already committed their first-round pick to signing Crawford, expect them to go hard after Scott Downs. They might not have wanted to give up a first-rounder for a reliever, but a second-rounder is just fine, particularly since they’ll be getting two picks apiece for losing Victor Martinez and Beltre.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)