Manny Ramirez had surgery on a groin injury he didn’t even know about

Dec 9, 2010, 12:45 PM EST

Chicago White Sox v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

Manny Ramirez underwent hernia surgery shortly after the season ended, but yesterday agent Scott Boras told reporters that Ramirez “didn’t know about” the injury. Seriously.

According to Boras:

I’m not sure Manny knew about it. In fact, I know he didn’t know about it because we were all surprised. I don’t think Manny felt anything affected him during the season. It’s just the fact that when you find out you’ve got a situation where you’ve got to have surgery for a hernia-like situation, you obviously know it’s impactful. We found out that Manny had some medical maladies that had to be surgically repaired in the offseason. It had a pretty big impact on his performance.

Boras saying “it had a pretty big impact on his performance” despite also saying that Ramirez “didn’t know about it” is basically a perfect portrayal of the public’s perception of each person.

Boras is trying to spin it so that Ramirez’s complete lack of production following a trade to the White Sox can be blamed on the injury, no doubt to help stir up some free agent interest. At the same time Ramirez, who has long had a reputation for being oblivious to just about everything but hitting a baseball, played most of the season with a groin injury that eventually required surgery and “didn’t know about it.”

For whatever it’s worth, Boras also said that Ramirez is now fully recovered from the surgery and has a “good” market that involves “multiple teams” being interested. Whether or not Ramirez is aware of any of that remains unclear.

1. Jonny 5 - Dec 9, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Ok ok k, Let me get this right. He grows out his hair, get’s caught using female growth hormones, now “groin surgery” Hmmm??? I wonder if he still needs a cup?

2. IdahoMariner - Dec 9, 2010 at 12:54 PM

when I first read the headline, I thought it said he had surgery on “a groin he didn’t even know about.” which, much as you point out with the actual, correct version, fits perfectly into our perception of Manny as well.

• clydeserra - Dec 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM

It took me two reads to disabuse me of that notion too.

3. mcsnide - Dec 9, 2010 at 12:55 PM

This IS the guy who couldn’t remember what knee was injured a few years ago, so anything’s possible.

• BC - Dec 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Seriously! Are they sure the operated on the correct groin muscle?

• pisano - Dec 9, 2010 at 6:55 PM

That’s why he’s called Manny the moron.

4. bloodysock - Dec 9, 2010 at 1:14 PM

He didn’t know if it was his left groin or right groin, so they operated on both.

5. jfk69 - Dec 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Does Manny being Manny know that men stand to pee and women squat.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5747)