Dec 9, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
Seattle has signed catcher Miguel Olivo to a two-year, $7 million contract with a team option for 2013, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com.
Last month the Blue Jays acquired Olivo from the Rockies for a player to be named later, declined his $2.6 million option for 2011, and then offered him arbitration, which means Toronto will receive a compensatory draft pick for losing a Type B free agent who never actually played for them.
Pretty nifty move from general manager Alex Anthopoulos, who saw the value in holding Olivo’s rights even when the Rockies didn’t. Seattle handing $7 million to Olivo is also intriguing, because Jack Zduriencik is viewed as a stat-friendly general manager who places a premium on getting on base and Olivo has consistently posted one of the worst on-base percentages in baseball.
Olivo got on base at a .315 clip this year, which is both significantly below the MLB average and by far the best mark of his career. In fact, it’s only time his OBP has cracked .300. He brings plenty of power to the table, smacking 14 homers in 427 at-bats this year and 20 homers per 550 at-bats for his career, and Olivo also does a good job controlling the running game, but it’s still an odd fit.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 40
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 51
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)