Dec 9, 2010, 11:42 PM EDT
From ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick comes word that the Reds have signed outfielder Jay Bruce to a six-year, $51 million contract extension with a seventh-year club option that could bring the total worth of the deal to $63 million.
Bruce was a first-year arbitration-eligible player. He could have taken a path that would have meant negotiating raises year-to-year but that also provides a quicker path to free agency. Instead, he committed himself long-term to the Reds and will play out his prime years in Cincinnati.
The 23-year-old registered a rock solid .281/.353/.493 batting line, 25 home runs and 70 RBI in 2010 for the National League Central champion Reds. He took a bit longer than expected to fully develop, but he’s a real-deal run producer now and is likely to mash in Great American Ballpark throughout the course of the contract.
The Reds inked starter Bronson Arroyo to a three-year, $35 million extension earlier this month. They haven’t been too active on the free agent market, but at least the Red Legs are keeping their core intact.
Winning the NL Central in 2010 wasn’t a fluke and Cincy has all the pieces to do it again.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 27
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 53
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)