Source: The Rays and Cubs are talking about a Matt Garza trade

Dec 9, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT

Matt Garza throwing

Did I say I was saying goodbye to the Winter Meetings? Well, sure, but they’re more a state of mind than an actual location anyway, so I can pass along some buzz I just heard from a major league source:  The Cubs and Rays are discussing a Matt Garza trade.

I know some have discounted the possibility of such a beast — and I don’t have any intelligence about the type of return Tampa Bay could expect — but I’m hearing that as of a few minutes ago, the Rays and Cubs are “working on it.”

Updates as we hear them.

1. BC - Dec 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Are the Rays planning on ever being competitive again?

2. frankvzappa - Dec 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM

its like Theo is pulling the strings for the Rays, too! ship that SOB to the national league!

3. Ari Collins - Dec 9, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Shipping Garza out to make room for Hellickson makes a lot of sense. Ideally, they’d get something to help their offense, either this year or moving forward when, even without Garza, their rotation becomes something to behold.

• shakemysins - Dec 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Wouldn’t it make more sense to ship out Shields or Niemann to make room for Hellickson? When they’re good, they do good work. They’re just unreliable. Why would they get rid of their number two pitcher when the bullpen is virtually empty?

• Ari Collins - Dec 9, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I think you’d be selling low on Shields, and high on Garza. But I’m not a big believer in Niemann. Be curious to see what the Rays get for a starter if/when they trade one.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I can’t possibly imagine what the Cubs would have to give in return other than bad players, bad contracts and/or bad chi.

5. hackerjay - Dec 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I’d hate to see it, but I wonder if the Cubs would build a trade for Garza around Marmol.

6. wagnerjames - Dec 9, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Maybe the Cubs can send them Carlos Pena and 9 million dollars.

7. Ari Collins - Dec 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I don’t really understand this one. I highly doubt the Cubs would be willing to part with Sterling Castro or Geovany Soto, and those are the only pieces on their entire roster that I could see the Rays wanting.

I don’t think they have the prospects to match up either. Maybe Brett Jackson plus some others? Brett Jackson isn’t that great, though.

8. thomas2727 - Dec 9, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Who is Sterling Castro?

• Ari Collins - Dec 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM

He’s a guy whose name I apparently can’t spell. Starlin, huh? Okay, then.

Three legends off to Cooperstown