Dec 9, 2010, 9:15 AM EDT
This is rich: Steve Garvey, who famously got into all kinds of financial difficulties a few years ago — and who has had multiple paternity suits filed against him — wants to rescue the Dodgers. He says he has an investment group that will take the team off Frank McCourt’s hands and place Garvey in the owners’ box.
The best part of this is the Dodgers’ spokesman’s response:
“There are some great treasures out there that people would love to buy, the Dodgers among them. But, like the Mona Lisa and the Pacific Ocean, the Dodgers aren’t for sale.”
In other news, the spokesman’s boss put the Mona Lisa in a pawn shop and polluted the Pacific Ocean, so he should probably not get too uppity about Steve Garvey’s interest.
My guess is that the team is going to have to be sold. Maybe it won’t be to Steve Garvey, but it will be to someone because neither Frank nor Jamie McCourt have the kind of cash necessary to buy the other out. And even if Jamie did, there’s no guarantee that Major League Baseball would want her in the owners’ club after all that has happened.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)