The Angels are in on Cliff Lee too; Rangers to pay him a visit

Dec 9, 2010, 11:05 AM EDT

Cliff Lee talking

It’s not just the Yankees: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Angels — now free from the burden of having to pay Carl Crawford! — are bidding on Cliff Lee.

There’s not a ton of context to this and it’s hard to tell if it’s serious interest or, like Boston’s, merely head games, but the Angels do have some money to spend.  You figure Adrian Beltre is now their biggest target — and their roughly $100M offer to Crawford suggests that Beltre is more doable for them — but Lee wouldn’t be impossible if they’re sufficiently desperate.

In other Lee news, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports that the Rangers are sending a delegation to Little Rock today to meet with Cliff Lee and his agent, Darek Braunecker, who decamped Orlando yesterday. One wonders — based on what Nolan Ryan said last night — if this meeting will be a “we want to leave with you signed. Tell us what you want and we’ll do it now; if not, we’re out” kind of meeting.

The Yankees have to have this in the bag, though.  With Boston adding $300 million in talent in the past four days, New York has to unleash a counter attack, right? Because this is war, and that’s what you do in a war.

1. bloodysock - Dec 9, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Or you surrender.

• mtner77 - Dec 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Only if you are the French army.

2. frankvzappa - Dec 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM

the real question is…all offers being equal, does Lee still go to the Yanks?

• Old Gator - Dec 9, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Is it just my dementia, or is Lee looking more and more like Ralph Fiennes every day?

• bigharold - Dec 9, 2010 at 2:09 PM

3. Panda Claus - Dec 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM

The Yankees would be doing the Rangers a favor by signing Lee. They’d save them from enduring ARod Contract #2 and crushing the payroll flexibility they’d lose if he ends up back in Arlington.

So what do the Rangers want here? Keep Lee and pay him in the neighborhood of $22-25M+ per year, or let him go, recoup the two high draft picks, then spend more wisely in other areas?

I know which way I’d choose. But at least drive up the price to the Yankees first. That’s probably all the Angels are trying to do to Texas.

• gt929 - Dec 9, 2010 at 3:08 PM

If it’s inevitable that the bully is going to take your lunch, might as well try to spike it with a little laxative.

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM

gt929 – what happened to your new line? IRIT (I think that was it wasn’t it)
        Apparently Ryan thinks the Rangers still have a shot at Lee otherwise the group wouldn’t be going to Little Rock. Besides if what most of the posters on these sites seem to think that teams are wasting their money by offering Lee even 5 years you get the impression the Rangers would be better served by going in a different direction. Like I said though until Lee signs on the dotted line it’s anyone’s guess where he will wind up.

4. gt929 - Dec 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM

INIT= In Nolan I Trust, LoL. And I still do, but it just looks like it’s all getting out of hand. I need to stay away from the Yahoo boards where too many Yankee fans have that gloating, entitlement attitude. I start feeling bitter. And, no matter where Lee ends up, the other teams’ fans will be saying ‘dem grapes wuz prolly sour anyway.’ Unlike the fox, though, we’ll all get to watch as someone else consumes.

On the other front- methinks I like Garza more than Greinke, for some reason. I hope the Rangers make a run at him, but they need to get on it. Cubs are sniffing around there too, if they haven’t already pounced.

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM

gt929 – I agree with you about Garza. As for the Yahoo boards to be fair it’s not just Yankee fans. Read the posts from Red Sox fans about their 2 signings. They act like their ownership/management have been taken advantage of by the big bad Yankees all these years. When in fact the Red Sox have been doing for years exactly what the Yankees have done. But they get a free pass and fly under the radar because of the Yankees. Now they start to get criticized a little bit and all their fans on Yahoo are like the little piggy that cried all the way home. Anyway good luck however the Lee thing works out. Like I said until someone signs on the dotted line it’s anyone’s bet where he will wind up.
      On the bright side for the Rangers it looks like all the other teams (AL West) are coming up empty so far. So the AL West looks like it’s the Rangers to take at least at this point.

• gt929 - Dec 9, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Oh yeah, don’t think I haven’t noticed a high level of obnoxiousness in Yahoo BRS fans. And I like these message boards. There’s a noticeable difference in intelligence and respect for others. SI FanNation is better than Yahoo, but there’s tons of spam, and a lot of off topic personal banter. (Kind of like I’m doing here. My apologies to all.)

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2010 at 7:15 PM

To gt929 – Agreed. I only post once in a while on Yahoo right now because of all the garbage. When the season starts that will will change. There will still be a lot of garbage there but I like the format. I just wish the jerks on there would stop it.
        Back to the Lee signing. I think this is all coming to a head. Hopefully over the next couple of days this will all be over.
        Take care my friend. Enjoy.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS