The Rockies want to give Carlos Gonzalez a $100 million+ extension

Dec 9, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies would like to give Carlos Gonzalez a six or seven-year deal, which would likely cost the team something like $100 million. That directly from team owner Dick Monfort:

“Why? Well, I haven’t talked directly with Carlos, but I know he likes it here. And as a player, I would like to know that Troy Tulowitzki is going to be hitting behind me forever.”
Normally guys with only two years under their belt don’t get $100 million deals. Normally guys who are represented by Scott Boras don’t agree to any deal that locks them up beyond their arbitration years.  But man, with the price at which the Red Sox just signed Carl Crawford, we may be in the middle of a corner outfielder bubble and it would be really hard for a player to turn that kind of thing down.
  1. Brian - Dec 9, 2010 at 9:02 AM

All of these teams (except maybe Boston) will be financial laughing stocks in oooooh…about 3 years.

2. BC - Dec 9, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I think the biggest question coming out of this whole Crawford/Lee/Gonzalez/Spendapalooza deal is… what in the heck is Albert Pujols going to get when his contract is up? 6 years/$200 million?

• Adam - Dec 9, 2010 at 9:40 AM

No way Pujols signs for only 6 years, in my opinion. I would say the bidding starts at 8 years, with him likely getting 10. Don’t want to go into free agency at 38/39, just ask Jeter (granted he’s a year younger).

• BC - Dec 9, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Regardless of years, here’s saying that – assuming he doesn’t have a major injury – he’s going to end up in the $30-$32 million per year range. Easily. Yikes. Help. Mommy.
        Wonder what the market is for an overweight, 43 year old righty that throws in the high 60’s at best and can crank out a decent knuckleball once in a while (that be me)? I’d sign for 1/100th of that.

• Brian - Dec 9, 2010 at 10:04 AM

BREAKING NEWS! Cardinals sign Albert Pujols to a 30 year deal worth $42.6 Billion, with an option year and incentives that could make the deal worth an extra $17billion, plus ownership of the Moon and a lifetime supply of Budweiser.

Three legends off to Cooperstown