Dec 9, 2010, 6:55 PM EDT
The hot stove has been set to a low setting as the baseball world migrates back from the Winter Meetings in Olrando, Florida. But at least one free agent is still feeling the heat.
Aaron told you a few hours ago that the Red Sox had made an official contract offer to catcher Russell Martin. According to George King III of the New York Post, the Yankees have now done the same and want to make him their starting catcher.
Martin would probably have to battle for playing time in Boston with Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jason Varitek. In New York he’d have a better shot at starting every day while Jesus Montero continues to marinate in the minor leagues and Jorge Posada takes most of his at-bats out of the DH role.
Buster Olney of ESPN.com is hearing that the Red Sox are the favorite to land Martin, but he might be attracted to the more frequent looks that the Yanks can provide. Especially if he has real plans to turn his career around. Remember, this is the same guy that was handed All-Star nods in his sophomore and junior MLB seasons before a hip injury threw everything off.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 77
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)