Dec 9, 2010, 6:55 PM EDT
The hot stove has been set to a low setting as the baseball world migrates back from the Winter Meetings in Olrando, Florida. But at least one free agent is still feeling the heat.
Aaron told you a few hours ago that the Red Sox had made an official contract offer to catcher Russell Martin. According to George King III of the New York Post, the Yankees have now done the same and want to make him their starting catcher.
Martin would probably have to battle for playing time in Boston with Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jason Varitek. In New York he’d have a better shot at starting every day while Jesus Montero continues to marinate in the minor leagues and Jorge Posada takes most of his at-bats out of the DH role.
Buster Olney of ESPN.com is hearing that the Red Sox are the favorite to land Martin, but he might be attracted to the more frequent looks that the Yanks can provide. Especially if he has real plans to turn his career around. Remember, this is the same guy that was handed All-Star nods in his sophomore and junior MLB seasons before a hip injury threw everything off.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)