Dec 10, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Oakland left the winter meetings empty handed despite several attempts to make a big splash, which has Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle thinking that the A’s will turn their attention to signing Hideki Matsui.
Matsui’s agent, Arn Tellem, told Slusser that he expects to begin fielding offers over the weekend and indicated that Matsui might be ready to sign as soon as early next week.
Whether or not it’ll be with Oakland is unclear, but Matsui has expressed an interest in remaining on the West Coast following a one-year stint with the Angels and the A’s have been linked to him since missing out on their No. 1 designated hitter target, Lance Berkman.
Matsui signed a one-year, $6 million deal with the Angels last winter and hit .274/.361/.459 with 21 homers and 84 RBIs in 145 games as their primary DH.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 66
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)