Dec 10, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Oakland left the winter meetings empty handed despite several attempts to make a big splash, which has Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle thinking that the A’s will turn their attention to signing Hideki Matsui.
Matsui’s agent, Arn Tellem, told Slusser that he expects to begin fielding offers over the weekend and indicated that Matsui might be ready to sign as soon as early next week.
Whether or not it’ll be with Oakland is unclear, but Matsui has expressed an interest in remaining on the West Coast following a one-year stint with the Angels and the A’s have been linked to him since missing out on their No. 1 designated hitter target, Lance Berkman.
Matsui signed a one-year, $6 million deal with the Angels last winter and hit .274/.361/.459 with 21 homers and 84 RBIs in 145 games as their primary DH.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 41
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)