Dec 10, 2010, 2:32 PM EDT
Two writers I met and hung out with at the Winter Meetings were Eno Sarris of FanGraphs and Rotoworld (and several other sites) and Amanda Rykoff of espnW. Both were cool people in person, and both have some sharp and funny observations about the behind-the-scenes aspects of the Winter Meetings today:
- Eno breaks down the dress code of the Winter Meetings. It’s shockingly accurate. All it’s missing is “bloggers from Ohio who didn’t bring a coat because they assumed it was warm in Orlando wore shirts under sweaters under corduroy blazers every day because they were freezing their kiesters off.”
- Amanda gives her general thoughts about her first-ever Winter Meetings, and more or less nails it. People often ask “what happens at the Winter Meetings?” The answer, as she makes clear, is not easy to grasp. You could walk right by them and not see a thing. But you quickly realize that there’s more than meets the eye.
Now, the only thing left to really close out the Winter Meetings is for me to seek out, find and destroy the video a certain MLB.com writer made of me singing before it hits the Internet. Because, um, it’s a total fake that really isn’t me. Or something.
And yes, I used this as another excuse to post the pic of the hotel in which the Meetings were held because I know Old Gator thinks it’s ugly.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)