Dec 10, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Ken Davidoff of Newsday reports on the specifics of Derek Jeter’s contract, including some of the bonus terms:
- $4 million for winning the MVP Award;
- $2 million for placing second through sixth in the MVP voting;
- $1.5 million for winning the Silver Slugger award;
- $500,000 for winning the Gold Glove;
- $500,000 for winning the LCS MVP Award; and
- $500,000 for winning the World Series MVP.
The MVP bonuses seem unlikely. I could see him winning a Silver Slugger, though, because shortstop is a pretty thin position these days. All it would take is a moderate bounce back season for Jeter, which I think is pretty likely. Gold Glove? Well, he’ll probably win one because everyone is nuts when it comes to the Gold Glove, but note that it’s only $500K. Seems that the Yankees don’t value it much either.
If the Yankees win the LCS or the World Series I suppose it’s not a horrible bet that Jeter could win their MVP awards. I mean, Edgar Renteria did it, so it’s not like it requires someone to be at the peak of their career. And besides, of the Yankees are winning the pennant and the World Series, the Yankees are happy anyway so Jeter’s contract clauses won’t bother them in the least.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)