Dec 10, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Ken Davidoff of Newsday reports on the specifics of Derek Jeter’s contract, including some of the bonus terms:
- $4 million for winning the MVP Award;
- $2 million for placing second through sixth in the MVP voting;
- $1.5 million for winning the Silver Slugger award;
- $500,000 for winning the Gold Glove;
- $500,000 for winning the LCS MVP Award; and
- $500,000 for winning the World Series MVP.
The MVP bonuses seem unlikely. I could see him winning a Silver Slugger, though, because shortstop is a pretty thin position these days. All it would take is a moderate bounce back season for Jeter, which I think is pretty likely. Gold Glove? Well, he’ll probably win one because everyone is nuts when it comes to the Gold Glove, but note that it’s only $500K. Seems that the Yankees don’t value it much either.
If the Yankees win the LCS or the World Series I suppose it’s not a horrible bet that Jeter could win their MVP awards. I mean, Edgar Renteria did it, so it’s not like it requires someone to be at the peak of their career. And besides, of the Yankees are winning the pennant and the World Series, the Yankees are happy anyway so Jeter’s contract clauses won’t bother them in the least.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 1
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 29
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)