Dec 10, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Ken Davidoff of Newsday reports on the specifics of Derek Jeter’s contract, including some of the bonus terms:
- $4 million for winning the MVP Award;
- $2 million for placing second through sixth in the MVP voting;
- $1.5 million for winning the Silver Slugger award;
- $500,000 for winning the Gold Glove;
- $500,000 for winning the LCS MVP Award; and
- $500,000 for winning the World Series MVP.
The MVP bonuses seem unlikely. I could see him winning a Silver Slugger, though, because shortstop is a pretty thin position these days. All it would take is a moderate bounce back season for Jeter, which I think is pretty likely. Gold Glove? Well, he’ll probably win one because everyone is nuts when it comes to the Gold Glove, but note that it’s only $500K. Seems that the Yankees don’t value it much either.
If the Yankees win the LCS or the World Series I suppose it’s not a horrible bet that Jeter could win their MVP awards. I mean, Edgar Renteria did it, so it’s not like it requires someone to be at the peak of their career. And besides, of the Yankees are winning the pennant and the World Series, the Yankees are happy anyway so Jeter’s contract clauses won’t bother them in the least.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)