Dec 10, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Ken Davidoff of Newsday reports on the specifics of Derek Jeter’s contract, including some of the bonus terms:
- $4 million for winning the MVP Award;
- $2 million for placing second through sixth in the MVP voting;
- $1.5 million for winning the Silver Slugger award;
- $500,000 for winning the Gold Glove;
- $500,000 for winning the LCS MVP Award; and
- $500,000 for winning the World Series MVP.
The MVP bonuses seem unlikely. I could see him winning a Silver Slugger, though, because shortstop is a pretty thin position these days. All it would take is a moderate bounce back season for Jeter, which I think is pretty likely. Gold Glove? Well, he’ll probably win one because everyone is nuts when it comes to the Gold Glove, but note that it’s only $500K. Seems that the Yankees don’t value it much either.
If the Yankees win the LCS or the World Series I suppose it’s not a horrible bet that Jeter could win their MVP awards. I mean, Edgar Renteria did it, so it’s not like it requires someone to be at the peak of their career. And besides, of the Yankees are winning the pennant and the World Series, the Yankees are happy anyway so Jeter’s contract clauses won’t bother them in the least.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)