Dec 10, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
They held Ron Santo’s memorial service in Chicago today. Bud Selig spoke. Tom Haudricort transcribed his remarks. In addition to the words in that headline, he included a great anecdote about the man:
“The move of the Milwaukee Braves to Atlanta in the mid-1960s left a void in the lives of everyone in my family. We filled that void with the Chicago Cubs, and no player embodied Cubs’ baseball more than their great fielding, power-hitting third baseman, Ron Santo. He played with unbridled enthusiasm, relentless energy and a tremendous heart.
“My daughter, Wendy, was a youngster then and she, like many young Cub fans, instantly identified Ron as her favorite player.
“One day, my mother, who was a great baseball fan and also a Ron Santo fan, bumped into Ron at a golf course in Arizona. She told Ron her granddaughter just loved him. Ron smiled, took the cap off his head, signed it and asked my mother to give it to her granddaughter. To Wendy, Ron Santo was elevated from favorite player to hero. In turn, over the years, Ron never failed to ask me about Wendy, and, to this day, Ron’s cap remains one of Wendy’s most prized possessions.”
I slam Selig for his rhetoric quite often, but good on the Commissioner for telling that story. Bud Selig is a lot of things, but I don’t think there’s any denying that he’s a real baseball fan.
Rest in peace, Ron Santo.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 58
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 63
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)