Dec 10, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
They held Ron Santo’s memorial service in Chicago today. Bud Selig spoke. Tom Haudricort transcribed his remarks. In addition to the words in that headline, he included a great anecdote about the man:
“The move of the Milwaukee Braves to Atlanta in the mid-1960s left a void in the lives of everyone in my family. We filled that void with the Chicago Cubs, and no player embodied Cubs’ baseball more than their great fielding, power-hitting third baseman, Ron Santo. He played with unbridled enthusiasm, relentless energy and a tremendous heart.
“My daughter, Wendy, was a youngster then and she, like many young Cub fans, instantly identified Ron as her favorite player.
“One day, my mother, who was a great baseball fan and also a Ron Santo fan, bumped into Ron at a golf course in Arizona. She told Ron her granddaughter just loved him. Ron smiled, took the cap off his head, signed it and asked my mother to give it to her granddaughter. To Wendy, Ron Santo was elevated from favorite player to hero. In turn, over the years, Ron never failed to ask me about Wendy, and, to this day, Ron’s cap remains one of Wendy’s most prized possessions.”
I slam Selig for his rhetoric quite often, but good on the Commissioner for telling that story. Bud Selig is a lot of things, but I don’t think there’s any denying that he’s a real baseball fan.
Rest in peace, Ron Santo.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)