Ed Price is “certain” the Rays will trade Matt Garza

Dec 10, 2010, 4:04 PM EDT

Matt Garza throwing

Yesterday I reported that the Rays and Cubs were talking about a Matt Garza trade. Today Ed Price from FanHouse tweets that one major league source is “certain” that the Rays will trade Garza and predicts that it will be to the Cubs.

Man, I hope Ed and I aren’t talking to the same guy. You know what they say: you’re not just talking to the source who has leaked to you; you’re also talking to everyone to whom he’s ever leaked.

Practice safe scoops, people.

1. Panda Claus - Dec 10, 2010 at 4:19 PM

The best source to use would probably be a guy from Matt Garza’s moving company. After that, maybe someone that works in the Cubs’ ticket office or promotions department.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 10, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I hope this dude is right, though. My beloved Cubs need another quality SP.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 10, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Garza would be a seriously good pick-up for the Cubbies. I still wonder what they could possibly give the Rays in return.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 10, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I’d love to deal Vitters and a few decent prospects for Garza and Brignac.

• aschwartz2011 - Dec 10, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Why would the Rays trade for a 3B? Longo will be there until he signs with the Red Sox in 2017

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Good question – I was thinking Vitters could play 2B; he’s athletic enough.

• Alex K - Dec 10, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I think some people see Vitters as a 1B.

3. yankees1996 - Dec 10, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I am glad to hear that he is certain the Rays are going to trade Garza, but they need to trade him to the Yankees.

4. shawon0meter - Dec 10, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I’ve officially gotten my hopes up, something I try not to do. Go get ‘em Cubbies!

5. indaburg - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Crawford, Pena, Bartlett, Soriano, Benoit… this is a nightmare, right? Just the thought of seeing Crawford in a Sox uniform makes me nauseous.

It is a sad, lonely time to be a Rays fan. Lonelier than usual, that is.

• flpunx - Dec 10, 2010 at 11:37 PM

I’m right here with ya, indaburg! I was out last night and ESPN (you know, the network that craps all over the Rays every chance they get just so they can further blow the Yankees) was calling this the exodus. It sure feels like Freidman and Sternberg are doing everything they can to follow through on their payroll promise.

• shakemysins - Dec 11, 2010 at 12:39 AM

I think it’s more likely that they’re trying to turn the fans against the franchise. They’ll be able to honestly say that the fans have lost interest, and then use that as an excuse to sell the team.

6. Ick McWang - Dec 11, 2010 at 12:44 AM

As a Rays fan, they better get a haul for Garza cuz we still have rights to him for a few more years, arbitration salaries or not. And who on Chicago would the Rays want? Everyone says Soto, but then what do the Rays do with Kelly Shoppach and the two years and multiple millions owed?

I’d take Carlos Marmol and a low prospect, although I have no idea what Marmol’s contract is….

Three legends off to Cooperstown