Mike Schmidt thinks that Jayson Werth kid has potential

Dec 10, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT

Jayson Werth shades

Mike Schmidt — the baseball player, not the New York Times reporter — has a column today in which he questions the wisdom of the Washington Nats’ deal with Jayson Werth.

I question the wisdom of it too, as do a lot of people. But what is striking about Schmidt’s criticism is that it’s based on Werth being a “young man” with “potential” who is “in his growth stage.” Of course, Jayson Werth will be 32 next season.  Almost everyone else who has criticized the deal has done so on the basis that he’s too old to be given seven years. So, yeah, this one is a bit different.

I will say, though, Schmidt’s use of one phrase has to give Nats’ fans the willies:

Jayson now will be the man, the cleanup hitter with the burden of production, far surpassing anything he has experienced.

That’s rather stark, and for as obvious as it is, I hadn’t thought of it in those terms since the signing. The notion of Werth being your best player — which, if the Nats don’t lock up Ryan Zimmerman, he may one day be — is kind of sobering. The young kid stuff aside, I agree with Schmidt that having so much riding on Jayson Werth is a bit scary.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM

The Nats know this. I think they signed him to finally make that splash they’ve been talking about doing the past three offseasons, to have a player’s uniform other than Zimmerman’s worth buying in the gift shop, and to ease the loss of Dunn.

They need to keep Willingham as another power hitter needed in that lineup, go for Laroche, sign someone like Orlando Hudson and get another upside pitcher or two. Then we’ll see how they hold up.

2. iamthedoublestandard - Dec 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I can’t wait till the Nats offensive powerhouse hits 100 RBI’s for the FIRST time in his career.

• cktai - Dec 11, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Yes hitting one more RBI then he did in 2009 will be such a huge milestone for him.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 10, 2010 at 5:15 PM

This signing will go down as one of the most dubious (or should I say Werthless?) contracts in history.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 10, 2010 at 5:16 PM

I also think he may now literally be, by definition, the most overrated player in baseball.

4. Glenn - Dec 10, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Mike Schmidt also said that he didn’t think Dustin Pedroia would make it because he swings too hard. I think he should stick to being the greatest third baseman of all time and leave the analysis to someone else.

• oneshot386 - Dec 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Really Dude??? Everyone who is not a Red Sox fan thinks Pedroia is a midget who completely sucks!!!

• Glenn - Dec 11, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Well, it’s hard to argue with your brilliant analysis. Rookie of the Year, MVP, etc., etc. I see your point.

• oneshot386 - Dec 11, 2010 at 1:41 PM

you must love you some red sox…and are probably 5 foot 3 yourself. But i mean the AL was just so full competition when he won. If everyone who hit, 17 homeruns, drove in 83 runs, and stole 20 bases in a season, they would have to give out over 20 MVP’s a year.

• Glenn - Dec 11, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Don’t let the facts get in your way, Mr Anonymous Tough Guy.

• oneshot386 - Dec 11, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Sorry GLEN, my name is Dennis does that help??? Facts are that pedroia is one of the most overrated players and will continue to be, only for the facts that he plays in Boston, and is a role model for midgets everywhere.

5. Walk - Dec 11, 2010 at 4:39 AM

Didn’t the nats try to get a new park funded publicly and it failed? I was hesistant to post this but i believe i had read a story on it. If that is true then signing players like werth, big name free agents, is the first step to building name recognition and winning teams. Get started winning and maybe they can build their fan base and get a better shot at public funds for a new or improved stadium.

• funwithselfdoubt - Dec 11, 2010 at 7:04 AM

You know Google was invented to prevent these kind of posts from ever happening…

• Old Gator - Dec 11, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I think maybe you should change your handle from “Walk” to “Strikeout” for that one. Learn a little plate discipline, define your strike zone, and then come back here calling yourself “Hit” someday.

6. Walk - Dec 11, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Cry me a river. I posted a bit of speculation on why i think washington is spending like it is. I said as much in my post. If you dont like it i am sorry, but guess what you are entitled to your opinion the same as i am and i want to make a post on what i think is going on i can.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS