My daughter doesn’t like baseball geeks

Dec 10, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT

In which my daughter -- who I call Mookie, because it makes her angry -- tells me what she thinks of baseball geeks.

I got back from the Winter Meetings after my daughter was asleep, so the first time I saw her was at breakfast this morning. As you can see from this video, she was happy to see me.  She is not, however, a fan of baseball geeks. Or Justin Bieber, but that’s another story.

UPDATE: Thanks to Harry Pavlidis, we now have isolated audio of my daughter yelling “baseball geek!”  Which I will now set to sound off each time I receive a new email.

1. cwkash - Dec 10, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Awesome!

2. phukyouk - Dec 10, 2010 at 8:39 AM

By definition if you like a sport ( a real spot not soccer or golf) doesn’t that mean that you aren’t a geek? i think that your daughters logic is flawed. shes a football fan isnt she?

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 10, 2010 at 8:40 AM

If she comes out as a football fan her mother and I will disown her.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:45 AM

a real spot not soccer

Ignorance is bliss, amirite?

• snley - Dec 10, 2010 at 10:16 AM

You’re thinking of nerds (highly intelligent, socially awkward, bookish). Geek (highly intelligent, high degree of intellectual focus in one area) is the appropriate term here.

3. phukyouk - Dec 10, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Liking you more and more each day.

4. Jonny 5 - Dec 10, 2010 at 8:53 AM

We, “Fans of the Phillies” would like to recruit your daughter to join us in red. She and your son. They can root for “the big man who doesn’t let guys get any hits” with us. But mostly Mookie, She has shown much prowess in the fine arts needed to become a blood red Phills fan. She has heckled ball players ruthlessly, talking about their daddy’s underpants… She has not only had thoughts of tasing her very own father, but she has planned this very thouroghly, and even had the fortitude to show him first (with diagrams), as a warning. She is now showing disdain for “baseball nerds”, and lord knows there aren’t many of those in the stands of CBP… “Hey Yo, why dey buntin’??? Dey need to hit da ball over da wall, duh.. Chaaalie Manuel is a dope, fire him!!!” I’ve heard… Things… some worse than that even, some not as bad. But anyway We need Mookie, With Craig as her dad, we could easily gain a smart Philly fan, who seems as if she might have been destined to root for the Phillies…

5. tadthebad - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Liking the rolling r’s, but does she know her Dad is a baseball geek?

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:09 AM

The r’s are her one-way ticket to speech therapy. People think she’s from Boston or something.

And oh yes, she knows I’m a baseball geek. Yells at me for it all the time.

6. Old Gator - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Children are horrible. Fathers aren’t much better, either.

• BC - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Children are OK as long as they’re someone else’s. Then you can give them back, have a Harvey’s Bristol Cream, and sleep well.

7. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Parenting question for you, Craig.

I have two boys, 10 and 7. They wake up and turn on MLB Network. They DVR any of the “Prime 9″ segments they run so they can watch the old footage. I woke my 7 year old up today and he rolled over and with nasty morning breath, the first words were “Did Cliff Lee sign with Texas or NY?”

They also like basketball (and all things LeBron, so they have that kid-like frontrunner gene, too) and football, but baseball is first.

Have I created baseball geeks? Am I a bad parent for doing so?

I say no, but I’m willing to listen.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:18 AM

You are not a bad parent for creating baseball geeks, Jason.

You are a bad parent, however, for creating Yankees fans.

• yankeesfanlen - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Nasty, nasty.

• RickyB - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I grew up in Chicago, so when people ask me how I became a Yankee fan, I simply tell them, “My Dad raised me right.”

• Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I can accept this. I blame my dad.

Some things you are born into. I was raised in an Orthodox Yankee household. It’s the religion I was raised in, right or wrong.

• mhegarty1015 - Dec 10, 2010 at 10:40 AM

You shouldn’t be so mean…Jason’s credit cards are the ones that will feel the brunt of this decision as his children grow up thinking that you can buy whatever you want without any repercussions.

8. Lukehart80 - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:25 AM

A girl her age who knows Justin Bieber and Edward, but hates them both?! Craig, even if she DOES turn out to like football, you can be very proud of your daughter’s batting average (just so long as she draws enough walks and hits for enough pop that her average isn’t hollow.).

9. BC - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:43 AM

As your daughter gets older, she will learn that baseball geeks rule the world, and will come over to the Dark Side. You will rule the galaxy as father and daughter. MMmmmmmwwwaaahahahaaahha…..

10. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM

OMG, ballbase greeks reproduce! I thought they could only recruit.

Seriously, Craig, you are blessed.

11. clydeserra - Dec 10, 2010 at 9:53 AM

You know, if you had been at a cle convention she would have hated “lawyer geeks.” I really think we parents are in a no win situation.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Actually, you hit the nail on the head. After last night, I’m pretty sure my son is hell bent on destroying me mentally and emotionally. And he’s nine. I may survive to see his 15th birthday, but It will be in vegetative state at best.

• BC - Dec 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Children are why God invented Jim Beam.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3117)