Dec 10, 2010, 5:42 PM EST
Earlier this week Pittsburgh added Matt Diaz to the outfield mix with a two-year, $4.25 million contract and now Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the Pirates “are trying hard to deal” Ryan Doumit despite general manager Neal Huntington calling him the team’s starting right fielder just a few days ago.
Doumit made 91 of his 111 starts at catcher this year, but Chris Snyder is slated to start behind the plate in 2011 and Doumit was seemingly set to platoon in right field while serving as his backup.
However, according to Langosch the Pirates are aggressively shopping Doumit and “have made it known to other general managers that the club is willing to eat some of his salary.” He’s owed $5.1 million in 2011 and the Pirates also hold 2012 and 2013 team options for a total of $15.5 million.
Not so long ago Doumit was a very promising young catcher with a big bat, but his shaky defense behind the plate hasn’t been as easy to live with while he hit just .251 with a .728 OPS over the past two seasons. He’s a switch-hitter who’s never had much success versus lefties, but a career line of .272/.336/.461 versus righties could make him a decent option if the Pirates foot around half the bill.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)