Dec 10, 2010, 5:42 PM EDT
Earlier this week Pittsburgh added Matt Diaz to the outfield mix with a two-year, $4.25 million contract and now Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the Pirates “are trying hard to deal” Ryan Doumit despite general manager Neal Huntington calling him the team’s starting right fielder just a few days ago.
Doumit made 91 of his 111 starts at catcher this year, but Chris Snyder is slated to start behind the plate in 2011 and Doumit was seemingly set to platoon in right field while serving as his backup.
However, according to Langosch the Pirates are aggressively shopping Doumit and “have made it known to other general managers that the club is willing to eat some of his salary.” He’s owed $5.1 million in 2011 and the Pirates also hold 2012 and 2013 team options for a total of $15.5 million.
Not so long ago Doumit was a very promising young catcher with a big bat, but his shaky defense behind the plate hasn’t been as easy to live with while he hit just .251 with a .728 OPS over the past two seasons. He’s a switch-hitter who’s never had much success versus lefties, but a career line of .272/.336/.461 versus righties could make him a decent option if the Pirates foot around half the bill.
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 61
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)