Dec 10, 2010, 9:17 PM EDT
After signing Scott Downs to a three-year, $15 million contract today, Angels general manager Tony Reagins told Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles that he is done with his bullpen.
“Right now, we’re very satisfied with the starting pitching we have and with the bullpen we have. Now, it’s on to see what other opportunities come up.”
Many considered the Angels the favorites to land closer Rafael Soriano this winter, but after committing $33 million to Downs and Hisanori Takahashi, they will now look to upgrade in other areas.
As for who will close for the Angels next season, Mike Scioscia said Downs would likely be part of a committee with Fernando Rodney, Kevin Jepsen and Jordan Walden.
“If we need one or two guys at times to get the last out, we’re going to do it but I don’t think the committee’s going to be very large,” Scioscia said.
Though he wasn’t mentioned as part of the potential committee, Takahashi went 8-for-8 in save opportunities with the Mets this past season.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)