Dec 10, 2010, 9:51 PM EDT
The Rays were all set to trade Jason Bartlett to the Padres in exchange for Adam Russell and Cesar Ramos on Wednesday night, but Aaron wrote yesterday that the deal was off. Now we know why.
The trade isn’t completely dead yet, but a source tells Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune that the Rays wanted to get a second opinion on one of the pitchers after conducting an initial physical exam.
The problem is “not believed to be serious,” according to Center, but there’s a chance that the deal won’t go through as initially agreed upon. In other words, if the Rays find something wrong with the pitcher, they will likely ask for a different pitcher in return. The Rays have exhausted their options for a trade involving Bartlett already, so this will probably get done one way or another.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)