Dec 10, 2010, 9:51 PM EDT
The Rays were all set to trade Jason Bartlett to the Padres in exchange for Adam Russell and Cesar Ramos on Wednesday night, but Aaron wrote yesterday that the deal was off. Now we know why.
The trade isn’t completely dead yet, but a source tells Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune that the Rays wanted to get a second opinion on one of the pitchers after conducting an initial physical exam.
The problem is “not believed to be serious,” according to Center, but there’s a chance that the deal won’t go through as initially agreed upon. In other words, if the Rays find something wrong with the pitcher, they will likely ask for a different pitcher in return. The Rays have exhausted their options for a trade involving Bartlett already, so this will probably get done one way or another.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)