Dec 10, 2010, 9:51 PM EDT
The Rays were all set to trade Jason Bartlett to the Padres in exchange for Adam Russell and Cesar Ramos on Wednesday night, but Aaron wrote yesterday that the deal was off. Now we know why.
The trade isn’t completely dead yet, but a source tells Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune that the Rays wanted to get a second opinion on one of the pitchers after conducting an initial physical exam.
The problem is “not believed to be serious,” according to Center, but there’s a chance that the deal won’t go through as initially agreed upon. In other words, if the Rays find something wrong with the pitcher, they will likely ask for a different pitcher in return. The Rays have exhausted their options for a trade involving Bartlett already, so this will probably get done one way or another.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)