Evan Longoria would welcome contract extension with Rays

Dec 11, 2010, 10:01 AM EDT

Evan Longoria Rays

It’s going to be tough for Rays fans to watch Carl Crawford be introduced as a member of the Red Sox in the next few minutes, so I wanted to pass along some encouraging words from Evan Longoria.

According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the third baseman would welcome a contract extension that would put him in position to stay with the Rays for the rest of his career.

“Tampa Bay is the place I want to be for the rest of my career if I can,” Longoria, 25, said. “If there’s an opportunity to do something like that, I would think long and hard about it.”

Longoria signed a team-friendly six-year, $17.5 million extension with the Rays in April of 2008 and is owed $2 million in 2011, $4.5 million in 2012 and $6 million in 2013. His contract includes a $7.5 million club option for 2014 (or a $3 million buyout) and an $11.5 million club option for 2015.

While it’s great that he wants to stay in Tampa Bay for the long haul, chances are his next contract won’t be such a bargain. Longoria told Topkin that he would like a deal similar to the six-year, $119 million extension Troy Tulowitzki recently signed with the Rockies.

1. shellvice - Dec 11, 2010 at 11:00 AM

This is not good news for Tampa Bay, I don’t think. This is code for: “I can’t believe I signed that stupid contract, and I’m going to be playing for 1/3 the money that I should be. I want more money.”

That said, there’s not much he can do about it. It’s his fault (and his agent’s) for signing that deal in the first place. Tampa will gladly exercise every club option and keep him through 2015 for a fraction of what he’s worth.

• JBerardi - Dec 11, 2010 at 2:40 PM

It’s worth mentioning that Longoria’s contract is the most team-friendly in baseball, and it’s not even close. That even includes first year players making the minimum, because those guys can still go year-to-year and make huge money in arbitration if they’re even half as good as Longoria. In terms of actual value to a franchise, (Longoria + his contract) is THE asset to have in all of baseball.

2. Ick McWang - Dec 11, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Of course he wants a Tulo contract. They are best friends so its not like they don’t compare notes or whatever

3. Ari Collins - Dec 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I don’t think the Rays have any reason to extend him. Unless they get a good discount (though obviously not an INSANE discount like they have on his first 8 years).

While it would be a great lift to Rays fans in the light of Crawford leaving, I think TB takes the first eight years of Longoria’s career and lets him walk.

4. rick1922 - Dec 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM

What a jerk the RAYS own him until 2015 an don;t have to do a thing with his contract . Bad deal on his part.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3022)