Dec 11, 2010, 10:01 AM EDT
It’s going to be tough for Rays fans to watch Carl Crawford be introduced as a member of the Red Sox in the next few minutes, so I wanted to pass along some encouraging words from Evan Longoria.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the third baseman would welcome a contract extension that would put him in position to stay with the Rays for the rest of his career.
“Tampa Bay is the place I want to be for the rest of my career if I can,” Longoria, 25, said. “If there’s an opportunity to do something like that, I would think long and hard about it.”
Longoria signed a team-friendly six-year, $17.5 million extension with the Rays in April of 2008 and is owed $2 million in 2011, $4.5 million in 2012 and $6 million in 2013. His contract includes a $7.5 million club option for 2014 (or a $3 million buyout) and an $11.5 million club option for 2015.
While it’s great that he wants to stay in Tampa Bay for the long haul, chances are his next contract won’t be such a bargain. Longoria told Topkin that he would like a deal similar to the six-year, $119 million extension Troy Tulowitzki recently signed with the Rockies.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)