Dec 11, 2010, 5:28 PM EDT
Martin Gandy of the Braves-centric blog Talking Chop attended the Braves Foundation Wiffle Ball Game and Holiday Party for the Troops at Turner Field earlier today and ran into former major league catcher Johnny Estrada. The rest is a must-read.
Estrada, who has been out of baseball since the Nationals released him in 2008, revealed to Gandy that he has been living with post-concussion syndrome dating back to a nasty collision at home plate with Darin Erstad on June 6, 2005.
In case you don’t remember it, you can relive it right here on MLB.com.
I’m glad that MLB teams are being increasingly cautious in regards to concussions, but I wonder how many ex-players like Estrada are out there.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (93)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)