Dec 11, 2010, 5:28 PM EST
Martin Gandy of the Braves-centric blog Talking Chop attended the Braves Foundation Wiffle Ball Game and Holiday Party for the Troops at Turner Field earlier today and ran into former major league catcher Johnny Estrada. The rest is a must-read.
Estrada, who has been out of baseball since the Nationals released him in 2008, revealed to Gandy that he has been living with post-concussion syndrome dating back to a nasty collision at home plate with Darin Erstad on June 6, 2005.
In case you don’t remember it, you can relive it right here on MLB.com.
I’m glad that MLB teams are being increasingly cautious in regards to concussions, but I wonder how many ex-players like Estrada are out there.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 33
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)