Dec 11, 2010, 5:28 PM EDT
Martin Gandy of the Braves-centric blog Talking Chop attended the Braves Foundation Wiffle Ball Game and Holiday Party for the Troops at Turner Field earlier today and ran into former major league catcher Johnny Estrada. The rest is a must-read.
Estrada, who has been out of baseball since the Nationals released him in 2008, revealed to Gandy that he has been living with post-concussion syndrome dating back to a nasty collision at home plate with Darin Erstad on June 6, 2005.
In case you don’t remember it, you can relive it right here on MLB.com.
I’m glad that MLB teams are being increasingly cautious in regards to concussions, but I wonder how many ex-players like Estrada are out there.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)