Dec 11, 2010, 5:28 PM EDT
Martin Gandy of the Braves-centric blog Talking Chop attended the Braves Foundation Wiffle Ball Game and Holiday Party for the Troops at Turner Field earlier today and ran into former major league catcher Johnny Estrada. The rest is a must-read.
Estrada, who has been out of baseball since the Nationals released him in 2008, revealed to Gandy that he has been living with post-concussion syndrome dating back to a nasty collision at home plate with Darin Erstad on June 6, 2005.
In case you don’t remember it, you can relive it right here on MLB.com.
I’m glad that MLB teams are being increasingly cautious in regards to concussions, but I wonder how many ex-players like Estrada are out there.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)