Dec 11, 2010, 4:14 PM EST
Doesn’t matter much now, but depending on who you talk to, the Angels may have matched Boston’s offer to Carl Crawford. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston has heard both sides.
One source tells Edes that Crawford’s agents set an 11 p.m. deadline on Wednesday night. The ultimatum? Crawford would sign if the Red Sox or Angels offered the magic number(s) of seven years and $142 million.
Red Sox owner John Henry eventually signed off on the deal and the team sent along their offer at 10:50 p.m., just 10 minutes before the arbitrary deadline. The Angels eventually made the very same offer, but by the time they did, Crawford had already committed to Boston. And scene.
Another major league source disputes that the Angels matched Boston’s offer at all. According to Edes, the source says that the last offer they made was a six-year, $108 million contract with an $18 million vesting option for a seventh year, pushing the total potential worth to $126 million.
This is fun in retrospect, but if Edes’ second source is correct, the Angels were never the front-runners we originally thought they were.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 18
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 90
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (90)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)