Dec 11, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
Doesn’t matter much now, but depending on who you talk to, the Angels may have matched Boston’s offer to Carl Crawford. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston has heard both sides.
One source tells Edes that Crawford’s agents set an 11 p.m. deadline on Wednesday night. The ultimatum? Crawford would sign if the Red Sox or Angels offered the magic number(s) of seven years and $142 million.
Red Sox owner John Henry eventually signed off on the deal and the team sent along their offer at 10:50 p.m., just 10 minutes before the arbitrary deadline. The Angels eventually made the very same offer, but by the time they did, Crawford had already committed to Boston. And scene.
Another major league source disputes that the Angels matched Boston’s offer at all. According to Edes, the source says that the last offer they made was a six-year, $108 million contract with an $18 million vesting option for a seventh year, pushing the total potential worth to $126 million.
This is fun in retrospect, but if Edes’ second source is correct, the Angels were never the front-runners we originally thought they were.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” ligament 4
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 124
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (124)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)