Dec 11, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com has the breakdown of Jayson Werth’s seven-year, $126 million contract with the Nationals. In a nutshell, it’s heavily backloaded.
Werth will get a $4 million signing bonus between January of 2011 and January and 2012 and will earn salaries of $10 million next season, $13 million in 2012, $16 million in 2013, $20 million in 2014 and $21 million from 2015-2017.
As Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com notes, the interesting part is that his salary reaches the $20 million theshold right when Ryan Zimmerman’s current contract is set to expire. Coincidence? There’s still plenty of time to get something worked out, but four years of Werth at $20 million-plus through his mid-to-late 30s would not be a fun parting gift for Nats fans if their franchise player decides to test free agency.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (75)