Dec 11, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com has the breakdown of Jayson Werth’s seven-year, $126 million contract with the Nationals. In a nutshell, it’s heavily backloaded.
Werth will get a $4 million signing bonus between January of 2011 and January and 2012 and will earn salaries of $10 million next season, $13 million in 2012, $16 million in 2013, $20 million in 2014 and $21 million from 2015-2017.
As Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com notes, the interesting part is that his salary reaches the $20 million theshold right when Ryan Zimmerman’s current contract is set to expire. Coincidence? There’s still plenty of time to get something worked out, but four years of Werth at $20 million-plus through his mid-to-late 30s would not be a fun parting gift for Nats fans if their franchise player decides to test free agency.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 40
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 44
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months