The Red Sox introduce Carl Crawford

Dec 11, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT

Carl Crawford

The Red Sox just held their press conference to introduce Carl Crawford. He’ll continue to wear No. 13 in his new digs.

Here’s a couple quick items of note:

- Crawford confirmed that he only received offers from the Red Sox and Angels, not the Yankees, though they reportedly met with him during the Winter Meetings.

- Crawford also said that he “doesn’t mind hitting anywhere in the lineup,” despite being opposed to batting leadoff off in the past. According to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that he will likely bat second or third, which means that either Jacoby Ellsbury or Dustin Pedroia will bat leadoff.

By the way, we now have the details of his seven-year, $142 million contract, courtesy of Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston. In addition to a $6 million signing bonus, he’ll receive $14 million in 2011, $19.5 million in 2012, $20 million in 2013, $20.25 million in 2014, $20.5 million in 2015, $20.75 million in 2016, and $21 million in 2017.

1. Ick McWang - Dec 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM

sure, now that he averages 20 million a year he will bat anywhere. But when Lou Piniella wanted him to bat leadoff, he threw a hissy fit.

What a waste of his defense playing left field in Boston, too. Maybe he will play right field now since he is being paid the big bucks

• JBerardi - Dec 11, 2010 at 2:54 PM

What a waste of his defense playing left field in Boston, too.

I keep hearing this, and it seems like a gross oversimplification. Crawford can just use Fenway’s small LF to cheat towards CF, and the wall to cheat towards the infield. And then there’s the whole 81 road games that I’m pretty sure the Red Sox still play. I’m not saying he won’t lose any defensive value in Fenway, but it’s not going to be more than like 3-5% of his total value as a player. It’s not something I’d really worry about, in other words.

• quintjs - Dec 11, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Which enables Ellsbury to cheat towards RF and block the Bengie Molina triangle in right-centre.

Though I think you are wrong on those road games. Pretty sure Gonzalez doesn’t play any road games either.

• Ari Collins - Dec 11, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Or CF.

Francona: Play Center Field today.

Crawford: I’m a Left Fielder.

Francona: We’re giving you one hundred forty-two million dollars.

Crawford: I’m a Center Fielder.

• indaburg - Dec 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Or…

Francona: Play Center Field today.

Crawford: I’m a Left Fielder.

Francona: We’re giving you one hundred forty-two million dollars.

Crawford: That’s right, sucker. Money’s in the bank, b*tch, and I ain’t doing sh*t.

(At least, that’s the version I am hoping for.)

2. spindervish - Dec 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Posted this elsewhere a while ago. No one responded. Trying again.

To anyone who might have a useful answer: What the hell is the deal with Crawford’s apparent refusal to play CF? It’s always bothered me; he’s a prototypical “5-tool” centerfielder, and he plays arguably the most worthless defensive position on the field. The only thing I’ve ever come up with is he wants to preserve his legs so he can rack up the SBs; the thing is, if this has been in the interest of maximizing his value as a FA, I’d have to believe he’d have been valued much higher as a plus centerfielder than “the best LF in the game.” That’s like being the smartest kid on the short bus.

And if it’s just a stat grab thing with the SBs, how did the Rays, as progressive as their brain trust seems to be, put up with that shit? How has no one ever laid down the law and told him, “Look, SBs are cool and all, but they’re generally overrated, while optimizing defense is a crucial concern. You’re our CF, period”? I realize this was less of a concern recently with the emergence of BJ Upton, but before that they used Rocco Baldelli in center, and I believe between Baldelli and Upton they even went with Delmon Young in center at times. I really do not get this at all.

3. noramorse - Dec 11, 2010 at 7:47 PM

We will see if Crawford is a team player or a disciple of Haynesworth. Haynesworth may someday be a verb.

Francona: CF today, Carl.
    Crawford: How much you makin’ this year, Terry?
    You ever think of the 3-4 defense?
    I played better with three infielders and four outfielders.
    Francona: Don’t you go Haynesworthing on me.
    Crawford: Don’t go dissing my main man Albert.

4. beantownsports247 - Dec 12, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Ellsbury and him will cover a ton of ground out there , while crawford will limit tons of pop flys over SS , will play the closest LF you will ever see , fun to watch .

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet