Dec 11, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
The Red Sox just held their press conference to introduce Carl Crawford. He’ll continue to wear No. 13 in his new digs.
Here’s a couple quick items of note:
- Crawford confirmed that he only received offers from the Red Sox and Angels, not the Yankees, though they reportedly met with him during the Winter Meetings.
- Crawford also said that he “doesn’t mind hitting anywhere in the lineup,” despite being opposed to batting leadoff off in the past. According to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that he will likely bat second or third, which means that either Jacoby Ellsbury or Dustin Pedroia will bat leadoff.
By the way, we now have the details of his seven-year, $142 million contract, courtesy of Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston. In addition to a $6 million signing bonus, he’ll receive $14 million in 2011, $19.5 million in 2012, $20 million in 2013, $20.25 million in 2014, $20.5 million in 2015, $20.75 million in 2016, and $21 million in 2017.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)