The Red Sox will be paying Manny Ramirez until 2027

Dec 11, 2010, 8:42 AM EST

Manny Ramirez

This isn’t quite Bobby Bonilla territory (I said it was “close” earlier, but that’s obviously not true — apologies if I offended any of you with such a comparison), anyway, it’s news to me…

According to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, the Red Sox will pay Manny Ramirez $1.94 million for each of the next 16 years, beginning in 2011.

Ramirez was given $31 million in deferred payments as part of the eight-year, $160 million contract he signed with the Red Sox in December of 2000.

But that’s not all. Ramirez will also receive $15 million in deferred payments from the Dodgers over the next three years, including $3,333,333 in 2011 and 2012 and $8.3 million in 2013.

No wonder Scott Boras is being so darn reasonable about Ramirez this winter. Manny is getting paid big bucks no matter what!

By the way, the Red Sox will officially introduce Carl Crawford at around 10 a.m. ET this morning. I’ll be sure to pass along a picture and some highlights from the press conference when they are made available. You know, when he says he always wanted to be on the Red Sox and all that good stuff.

1. proudlycanadian - Dec 11, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Manny isn’t as flaky as he appears. That is a very nice annuity.

2. paulie102704 - Dec 11, 2010 at 9:33 AM

how is this a bad thing for the Sox? They defer a boatload of money and pay interest on money that doesn’t exceed the savings they get from the present day value of money….it is actually very good business…comparing this payout structure to Bonilla’s is laughable. The Mets bought out Bonilla’s $6M contract in 1999 by agreeing to pay Bonilla almost $29M over 24 years starting in 2011. Yeah because that makes sense…It is widely considered one of the worst contract blunders in the history of sports….I love HBT, but this is one of the worst posts I have read, and I hope DJ Short picks up his game in the future…

• Lukehart80 - Dec 11, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Doesn’t DJ make a point of saying this ISN’T in Bonilla territory??? “One of the worst posts I have read…” Get over it.

• paulie102704 - Dec 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM

he explicitly states that it approaches Bonilla territory, which is just flat out wrong as the Bonilla gaff is one for the ages. Awful post, no way around it….probably won’t be tuning in to any future DJ Short posts….

• paulie102704 - Dec 11, 2010 at 10:45 AM

one last note. Short edited his first sentence after the fact. He can’t even stand on his own two feet with his initial comments….

• D.J. Short - Dec 11, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I changed everything to reflect my initial reaction. Don’t want you to think that I am trying to pull a fast one, but it isn’t relevant to the story, anyway? Do I think this is like the Bonilla deal? No, I think I made that clear. Will they be paying him a lot of money through 2027? Yes. That’s pretty much the point of the post. Sorry to disappoint you.

• Old Gator - Dec 11, 2010 at 11:34 AM

D. J., why not just take an online accounting course at Faber College and you’ll be able to bury zhlubs like Paulie in a pile of statistics next time they call you out on a technical detail. As Dean Wormer was always fond of saying about professional indoc…heh, education, “give them a light and they’ll follow it anywhere.”

3. sidelineshot - Dec 11, 2010 at 9:47 AM

we try to rationalize the deals that these GM’s make…truth is, they aren’t any smarter than the guy next doors – hahahahahaha dumb sh……ts !!!

• Adam - Dec 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM

How exactly are deferred payments dumb for either side sidelineshot? The team saved money at that moment and the player guarantees an income after their contract is up. I don’t see how either side loses in this situation.

• sidelineshot - Dec 11, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I guess that you are right.
        It just seems odd that a player may be in the opposing lineup and your club is still paying that particular guy.

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 11, 2010 at 10:50 AM

You want the BEST deal in all of sports history, or the WORST, depending on your perspective:

• Lukehart80 - Dec 11, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I remember reading about the Spirits’ buy-out in Loose Balls, by Terry Pluto. What a business deal that has turned out to be, it reminds me of George Lucas taking the merchandizing right for Star Wars.

5. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 11, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Since this is a news story, how about one on how much and how long the Reds are going to be paying Griffey.

6. klingonj - Dec 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM

you used the words “reasonable and scott boras” in the same sentence. Fotr that reason alone, you are are banned.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester