Dec 11, 2010, 8:42 AM EDT
This isn’t quite Bobby Bonilla territory (I said it was “close” earlier, but that’s obviously not true — apologies if I offended any of you with such a comparison), anyway, it’s news to me…
According to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, the Red Sox will pay Manny Ramirez $1.94 million for each of the next 16 years, beginning in 2011.
Ramirez was given $31 million in deferred payments as part of the eight-year, $160 million contract he signed with the Red Sox in December of 2000.
But that’s not all. Ramirez will also receive $15 million in deferred payments from the Dodgers over the next three years, including $3,333,333 in 2011 and 2012 and $8.3 million in 2013.
No wonder Scott Boras is being so darn reasonable about Ramirez this winter. Manny is getting paid big bucks no matter what!
By the way, the Red Sox will officially introduce Carl Crawford at around 10 a.m. ET this morning. I’ll be sure to pass along a picture and some highlights from the press conference when they are made available. You know, when he says he always wanted to be on the Red Sox and all that good stuff.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)