Dec 11, 2010, 8:42 AM EST
This isn’t quite Bobby Bonilla territory (I said it was “close” earlier, but that’s obviously not true — apologies if I offended any of you with such a comparison), anyway, it’s news to me…
According to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, the Red Sox will pay Manny Ramirez $1.94 million for each of the next 16 years, beginning in 2011.
Ramirez was given $31 million in deferred payments as part of the eight-year, $160 million contract he signed with the Red Sox in December of 2000.
But that’s not all. Ramirez will also receive $15 million in deferred payments from the Dodgers over the next three years, including $3,333,333 in 2011 and 2012 and $8.3 million in 2013.
No wonder Scott Boras is being so darn reasonable about Ramirez this winter. Manny is getting paid big bucks no matter what!
By the way, the Red Sox will officially introduce Carl Crawford at around 10 a.m. ET this morning. I’ll be sure to pass along a picture and some highlights from the press conference when they are made available. You know, when he says he always wanted to be on the Red Sox and all that good stuff.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)