Dec 11, 2010, 8:42 AM EDT
This isn’t quite Bobby Bonilla territory (I said it was “close” earlier, but that’s obviously not true — apologies if I offended any of you with such a comparison), anyway, it’s news to me…
According to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, the Red Sox will pay Manny Ramirez $1.94 million for each of the next 16 years, beginning in 2011.
Ramirez was given $31 million in deferred payments as part of the eight-year, $160 million contract he signed with the Red Sox in December of 2000.
But that’s not all. Ramirez will also receive $15 million in deferred payments from the Dodgers over the next three years, including $3,333,333 in 2011 and 2012 and $8.3 million in 2013.
No wonder Scott Boras is being so darn reasonable about Ramirez this winter. Manny is getting paid big bucks no matter what!
By the way, the Red Sox will officially introduce Carl Crawford at around 10 a.m. ET this morning. I’ll be sure to pass along a picture and some highlights from the press conference when they are made available. You know, when he says he always wanted to be on the Red Sox and all that good stuff.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)