Dec 12, 2010, 8:43 AM EDT
A couple of updates here on Cliff Lee and his big free agent decision.
We know that the Yankees have offered the left-hander a seven-year deal worth around $161 million. And we know that the Rangers have offered six guaranteed years with some kind of option for a seventh. Now we’re just waiting for Lee to pick one.
Sadly, it may be another 24 hours or so before that pick is made.
According to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, Rangers president Nolan Ryan is under the impression that Lee is going to spend the entire weekend in thought and won’t announce which team he is signing with until Monday.
“I’ve run all my traps and don’t know anything,” Ryan said, “so we’ll just wait and see.”
Lee, 32, turned in a sparkling 3.18 ERA and 1.00 WHIP over 28 starts in 2010, racking up 185 strikeouts and only 18 walks along the way. The average velocity on his fastball has risen steadily over the last five seasons. In 2006 and 2007, he clocked in at 89.0 MPH. In 2008, that saw a slight bump to 90.5 MPH. Then in 2009 he averaged 91.1 MPH, and this past year he was at 91.3 MPH.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 28
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)