Dec 12, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
From Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports comes word that the Marlins are working toward an agreement with free agent reliever Randy Choate.
The 35-year-old left-hander posted a pedestrian 4.23 ERA and 1.30 WHIP across 44.2 innings this past year, but he limited left-handed batters to a .202/.263/.266 slash line.
As a common middle reliever, he’s a liability. But used in the correct way — strictly as a lefty specialist, in other words — he can be a very strong and reliable piece in a big league bullpen.
Choate was labeled a Type B free agent this offseason and declined an offer of arbitration from the Rays, so he’ll net Tampa Bay a supplemental round draft pick when he signs elsewhere.
The Marlins have made quite a splash on the market this winter, trading Dan Uggla to the Braves for Omar Infante and Michael Dunn, signing catcher John Buck to a three-year, $18 million contract, inking Javier Vazquez to a one-year deal, swapping Cameron Maybin for Padres relievers Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica, and attempting a three-team deal for Royals ace Zack Greinke.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)