Dec 12, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
From Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports comes word that the Marlins are working toward an agreement with free agent reliever Randy Choate.
The 35-year-old left-hander posted a pedestrian 4.23 ERA and 1.30 WHIP across 44.2 innings this past year, but he limited left-handed batters to a .202/.263/.266 slash line.
As a common middle reliever, he’s a liability. But used in the correct way — strictly as a lefty specialist, in other words — he can be a very strong and reliable piece in a big league bullpen.
Choate was labeled a Type B free agent this offseason and declined an offer of arbitration from the Rays, so he’ll net Tampa Bay a supplemental round draft pick when he signs elsewhere.
The Marlins have made quite a splash on the market this winter, trading Dan Uggla to the Braves for Omar Infante and Michael Dunn, signing catcher John Buck to a three-year, $18 million contract, inking Javier Vazquez to a one-year deal, swapping Cameron Maybin for Padres relievers Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica, and attempting a three-team deal for Royals ace Zack Greinke.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 2
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)