Dec 12, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
From Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports comes word that the Marlins are working toward an agreement with free agent reliever Randy Choate.
The 35-year-old left-hander posted a pedestrian 4.23 ERA and 1.30 WHIP across 44.2 innings this past year, but he limited left-handed batters to a .202/.263/.266 slash line.
As a common middle reliever, he’s a liability. But used in the correct way — strictly as a lefty specialist, in other words — he can be a very strong and reliable piece in a big league bullpen.
Choate was labeled a Type B free agent this offseason and declined an offer of arbitration from the Rays, so he’ll net Tampa Bay a supplemental round draft pick when he signs elsewhere.
The Marlins have made quite a splash on the market this winter, trading Dan Uggla to the Braves for Omar Infante and Michael Dunn, signing catcher John Buck to a three-year, $18 million contract, inking Javier Vazquez to a one-year deal, swapping Cameron Maybin for Padres relievers Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica, and attempting a three-team deal for Royals ace Zack Greinke.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)