Dec 12, 2010, 9:26 AM EDT
The Twins moved out of their old indoor home and into the beautiful Target Field before the start of the 2010 season, so this news is technically no longer baseball-related. But it’s worth a nod anyway.
As detailed by our good friends at Pro Football Talk, the roof of Minneapolis’ Metrodome collapsed Sunday morning under 17 inches of snow. Sunday’s game between the Giants and Vikings had already been postponed to Monday night, and now it might have to be moved to another location.
There obviously isn’t enough time to set up a football grid at Target Field. The University of Minnesota has an outdoor football stadium in the area, so that’s an option if the snow stops and can be cleared in time.
No injuries have yet been reported and PFT is hearing that the Metrodome was empty at the time of the roof collapse. Of course, there’s little doubt that it’s going to be an expensive fix.
UPDATE: Wow. CNN shares this must-see picture of the collapsed Metrodome roof. Looking rough.
UPDATE II: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities has an incredible gallery of shots from inside the Metrodome. There is a tear in the roof that seems to be getting bigger by the minute.
UPDATE III: The Big Lead passes along this FOX Sports video of the Metrodome roof collapse with several indoor angles. It’s an incredible sight.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 21
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)