Dec 12, 2010, 9:26 AM EDT
The Twins moved out of their old indoor home and into the beautiful Target Field before the start of the 2010 season, so this news is technically no longer baseball-related. But it’s worth a nod anyway.
As detailed by our good friends at Pro Football Talk, the roof of Minneapolis’ Metrodome collapsed Sunday morning under 17 inches of snow. Sunday’s game between the Giants and Vikings had already been postponed to Monday night, and now it might have to be moved to another location.
There obviously isn’t enough time to set up a football grid at Target Field. The University of Minnesota has an outdoor football stadium in the area, so that’s an option if the snow stops and can be cleared in time.
No injuries have yet been reported and PFT is hearing that the Metrodome was empty at the time of the roof collapse. Of course, there’s little doubt that it’s going to be an expensive fix.
UPDATE: Wow. CNN shares this must-see picture of the collapsed Metrodome roof. Looking rough.
UPDATE II: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities has an incredible gallery of shots from inside the Metrodome. There is a tear in the roof that seems to be getting bigger by the minute.
UPDATE III: The Big Lead passes along this FOX Sports video of the Metrodome roof collapse with several indoor angles. It’s an incredible sight.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)