Dec 12, 2010, 9:26 AM EDT
The Twins moved out of their old indoor home and into the beautiful Target Field before the start of the 2010 season, so this news is technically no longer baseball-related. But it’s worth a nod anyway.
As detailed by our good friends at Pro Football Talk, the roof of Minneapolis’ Metrodome collapsed Sunday morning under 17 inches of snow. Sunday’s game between the Giants and Vikings had already been postponed to Monday night, and now it might have to be moved to another location.
There obviously isn’t enough time to set up a football grid at Target Field. The University of Minnesota has an outdoor football stadium in the area, so that’s an option if the snow stops and can be cleared in time.
No injuries have yet been reported and PFT is hearing that the Metrodome was empty at the time of the roof collapse. Of course, there’s little doubt that it’s going to be an expensive fix.
UPDATE: Wow. CNN shares this must-see picture of the collapsed Metrodome roof. Looking rough.
UPDATE II: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities has an incredible gallery of shots from inside the Metrodome. There is a tear in the roof that seems to be getting bigger by the minute.
UPDATE III: The Big Lead passes along this FOX Sports video of the Metrodome roof collapse with several indoor angles. It’s an incredible sight.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)