Dec 12, 2010, 9:26 AM EDT
The Twins moved out of their old indoor home and into the beautiful Target Field before the start of the 2010 season, so this news is technically no longer baseball-related. But it’s worth a nod anyway.
As detailed by our good friends at Pro Football Talk, the roof of Minneapolis’ Metrodome collapsed Sunday morning under 17 inches of snow. Sunday’s game between the Giants and Vikings had already been postponed to Monday night, and now it might have to be moved to another location.
There obviously isn’t enough time to set up a football grid at Target Field. The University of Minnesota has an outdoor football stadium in the area, so that’s an option if the snow stops and can be cleared in time.
No injuries have yet been reported and PFT is hearing that the Metrodome was empty at the time of the roof collapse. Of course, there’s little doubt that it’s going to be an expensive fix.
UPDATE: Wow. CNN shares this must-see picture of the collapsed Metrodome roof. Looking rough.
UPDATE II: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities has an incredible gallery of shots from inside the Metrodome. There is a tear in the roof that seems to be getting bigger by the minute.
UPDATE III: The Big Lead passes along this FOX Sports video of the Metrodome roof collapse with several indoor angles. It’s an incredible sight.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)