Dec 12, 2010, 9:26 AM EDT
The Twins moved out of their old indoor home and into the beautiful Target Field before the start of the 2010 season, so this news is technically no longer baseball-related. But it’s worth a nod anyway.
As detailed by our good friends at Pro Football Talk, the roof of Minneapolis’ Metrodome collapsed Sunday morning under 17 inches of snow. Sunday’s game between the Giants and Vikings had already been postponed to Monday night, and now it might have to be moved to another location.
There obviously isn’t enough time to set up a football grid at Target Field. The University of Minnesota has an outdoor football stadium in the area, so that’s an option if the snow stops and can be cleared in time.
No injuries have yet been reported and PFT is hearing that the Metrodome was empty at the time of the roof collapse. Of course, there’s little doubt that it’s going to be an expensive fix.
UPDATE: Wow. CNN shares this must-see picture of the collapsed Metrodome roof. Looking rough.
UPDATE II: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities has an incredible gallery of shots from inside the Metrodome. There is a tear in the roof that seems to be getting bigger by the minute.
UPDATE III: The Big Lead passes along this FOX Sports video of the Metrodome roof collapse with several indoor angles. It’s an incredible sight.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 18
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)