Dec 12, 2010, 10:39 AM EDT
The Cardinals drew only minimal interest when trying to shop shortstop Brendan Ryan at last week’s Winter Meetings in Orlando, Florida. It appears their luck has changed.
Ryan, 28, batted just .223 with a 573 OPS in 486 plate appearances for St. Louis this past year, but he’s one of the best defensive shortstops in all of baseball and would be a useful utility infielder on just about any roster.
The Twins won exclusive negotiating rights to 2010 Japanese batting champ Tsuyoshi Nishioka and are expected to work out a deal with the shortstop. They also have 26-year-old Alexi Casilla on board. A moving carousel of Nishioka, Casilla and Ryan at second base and shortstop would be plenty respectable.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)