A series of very sad tweets by Jose Canseco

Dec 13, 2010, 5:57 PM EDT

Canseco testifying

Jose Canseco has taken to Twitter the past few days, talking about his desire to play baseball again. Among the more notable tweets:

• I can dh for any major league team and lead the league in home runs,just give me the chance
  • I will show everyone that steroids are completely overrated once I get the chance to play aqgain.all I need is the chance
  • If a team would give me the chance I would not let them down.baseball is my life,I miss the game its part of me,its my addiction
  • I will not give up the dream of playing in the majors again,I just cant
  • If you love something and it defines you ,never give it up
  • I dream about playing almost every night.when I wake up and realize I am not anymore that’s when the nightmare begins
  • I am and will always be just simply a basball player,my tomb stone will just say. Baseball.
  • Why is everyone so negative,I will play again
  • Life is about beleivinging in something

Those last two came after many began to mock him in reply.

I won’t mock Jose Canseco. Not for this anyway.  He’s being honest about how he feels and there’s no crime in that.

But it’s hard not to pity him.  Because even if he had never become the poster child for PEDs in baseball and even if he had not exposed his former teammates and colleagues in his books, Canseco would not have a chance to play baseball again.  He’s 46-years-old. He hasn’t played truly competitive baseball for a decade. It’s not happening, and wouldn’t happen even if Canseco’s wasn’t blackballed from the game as he frequently claims.  He’s too old. He may be in physical shape, but he’s no longer in baseball shape. Baseball, even at its most meritocratic, is unforgiving in that way.

Canseco’s post-baseball life and career shows how extreme a gulf there is between that at which he excelled — putting a hurt on a baseball — and that to which he is left. Celebrity. Infamy. Based on some of his late night tweets I even imagine loneliness.  All players have adjustment problems to some degree or another, but Canseco’s seem quite extreme.

I hope that I’m just reading too much into some random tweets.  But if not, I hope Canseco gets some help. Because he sounds like he’s crying out for it.

1. Old Gator - Dec 13, 2010 at 6:03 PM

As much of a slimebag as he’s been, I keep thinking back ten years or so ago to when he used to hang out at Satchmo blues bar and restaurant in Coral Gables, sitting out on the patio listening to music and being relentlessly affable and gregarious to everyone, signing autographs for kids and spinning bullshit of the most entertaining sort. Of course, that was also the period when he chased his ex-wife up the Palmetto Expressway and tried to run her car off the road at 80 MPH or so. People are infinitely complex, except for conservatives.

• mgflolox - Dec 13, 2010 at 6:54 PM

When Canseco played for the A’s I would see him sometimes at Stoneridge Mall in Pleasanton or at Dublin Bowl. This was when he was at the top of his game and the height of his fame, and he still seemed pretty fan-friendly. I never saw him refuse an autograph or be brusque toward anybody. I hope somehow he gets his life together, because I think at his core, he’s a decent human being.

• tigerprez - Dec 13, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Canseco is certainly a tragic figure, but one has to wonder how much of his desire to get back in MLB has to do with his need to pay off his debt. If he really loved the game that much, it seems that he would have been in the trenches playing indie ball for the past ten years.

Old Gator is also a tragic figure for other reasons, chief among them an inability to keep politics out of a baseball site. Seriously, man, save that stuff for your Daily Kos rants. No one here wants to hear it. Go back to talking about the “Feesh.” You sound like an ass.

• iamthedoublestandard - Dec 14, 2010 at 12:58 AM

@tigerprez If u don’t like what Old Gator is spewing then get the f**k out of here. You mental midget. He’s free to say what he wishes. In fact, if it wasn’t for the fact that Im going to be cremated, I’d put the last sentence of his post on my tombstone. Those words are immensely true. No liberal would ever argue that. Who cares what forum we’re in. No one tells you what you can and can not talk about. I’m willing to bet my left testicle you are the same close minded person that thinks it’s a good idea for ‘god-fearin Americans’ should carry guns in bars. Nothing could go wrong there especially for the funeral home business.

2. kalarson - Dec 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Someone should make a movie about Canseco, sort of in the way that people have made movies about Cobain (not explicitly about him in name, but it obviously is parallel). It would be like those movies where the thirty-something walk-on leads the team to victory, except he doesn’t make the team and sinks into depression or something. The Canseco character then comes to some startling revelation about life (or doesn’t).

3. Jonny 5 - Dec 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM

He sounds depressed. People need to get off his back. Jose, get some people close to you, get off Twitter.

• Old Gator - Dec 13, 2010 at 8:49 PM

J5: that’d be good advice for anyone who people trusted enough to get close to them. I’d really have to think long and hard before letting this guy into my life on any but the most superficial level, considering how he’s betrayed friendships and teammates in the past. I suspect that part of his problem may be that by his past conduct he’s made folks pretty leery of him.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Talk about a guy facing his demons in the worst way.

5. rajbais - Dec 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM

The guy needs to go to Japan instead.

Jose is a good guy in my opinion. I don’t think that he just wrote the book for money because in an interview with Dan Le Batard he said that he only earned $1-1.5 million. I think he got very angry and depressed because no one in baseball helped him out after his career was over.

His time with Montreal ended shortly (rumors say it was laziness was why he got cut), but no one visited him or reached out to him before or after a false positive drug test lead him to jail for 3 months.

MLB did not care for ex-cons until it saw the NFL let Michael Vick and Tank Johnson have jobs. It was not for a while for it to be okay for the Yankees to hire Darryl Strawberry.

Canseco felt betrayed and screwed by MLB and so he ratted everyone out. His bigger mistakes were buying that house in Encino, CA, writing the 2nd book, and not taking a role as a security guard in this Nicole Kidman movie that he mentioned.

Three legends off to Cooperstown