Dec 13, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
McCarthy has a lengthy injury history and was limited to 56 innings this season–all in the minors–because of a stress fracture in his shoulder, but last month there were reports of at least a half-dozen teams scouting him in the Dominican winter league and McCarthy pitched well there.
He’s still just 27 years old and in between all the injuries McCarthy has a 4.56 ERA in 373 career innings despite calling a pair of hitter-friendly ballparks home in Texas and Chicago, so if healthy he should like pitching in Oakland.
UPDATE: The Athletics just announced that they have agreed to terms with McCarthy on a one-year contract. Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the deal is worth $1 million guaranteed, plus some additional incentives.
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 8
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 55
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 50
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 46
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 53
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)