Earl Weaver insists he’s not dead

Dec 13, 2010, 9:19 PM EST

Image (1) orioles%20logo.gif for post 4213

Earl Weaver is not dead. We know this because he says so.

This is contrary to a political column in the New York Times on Saturday, which referred to Weaver in the past tense. “Texas Democrats have become the Baltimore Orioles of politics,” wrote Ross Ramsey. “Somewhere in heaven, Earl Weaver and Ann Richards are comparing notes on what went wrong with the teams they left behind.”

Mike Klingaman of the Baltimore Sun called Weaver, 80, at his home in Florida to notify him of the bad news:

“I’ll be damned,” said the Hall of Famer, who managed the Orioles to four American League pennants and a World Series title. “All I can do is say, that’s false.

“I’m still here, although my knees have given out, so I don’t play golf anymore. I’ve always said that there were two places that I wouldn’t mind dying. One was Memorial Stadium; the other, the golf course.

“Now I’ve got to wait forever [to go], because both of those places are gone.”

You can follow Bob on Twitter, and get all your HBT updates here.

1. Glenn - Dec 13, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Mark Twain had something to say about that.

2. Conor_ProBallNW - Dec 13, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Calling Terry Bradshaw…

3. Kevin S. - Dec 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Off to re-watch select scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

4. Utley's Hair - Dec 13, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Has Old Gator been reached for comment on this?

• Old Gator - Dec 13, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated – but only by people with an ideological stake in it.

And golf interests me slightly less than plumbing.

5. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 14, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Earl won’t die until Jim Palmer does. Earl doesn’t want to give him the satisfaction.

6. BC - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:36 AM

He’s only 80????!?!? He looked 80 when he retired!
    Besides the great on-field arguments, the funniest thing I remember about Weaver was the chain-smoking when Don “Full Pack” Stanhouse came in the game in relief. Weaver would hide in the corner of the dugout or go up the tunnel to the clubhouse and blast down cigarrettes the whole time.

7. hackerjay - Dec 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM

“That’s it? I have to admit I’m disappointed that Weaver’s response wasn’t a little more colorful.”

What, him claiming immortality isn’t colorful enough for you?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2731)
  2. W. Myers (2480)
  3. C. McGehee (2086)
  4. D. Ross (2081)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1934)
  1. J. Shields (1828)