Dec 13, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
When the Yankees re-signed Mariano Rivera two weeks ago there were numerous reports that the Red Sox made him a multi-year offer worth as much or more than he ended up accepting from New York.
As if that weren’t juicy enough, now Rob Bradford of WEEI.com writes: “According to multiple major league sources, Mariano Rivera’s representatives were the ones to initiate contact with the Red Sox in an attempt to get the team interested in the closer.”
Much has been made about how differently Rivera treated his free agency and eventual re-signing with the Yankees than Derek Jeter did, but perhaps it wasn’t so different after all aside from Rivera being able to keep everything (mostly) under wraps.
Jeter and his agent tried to play hardball with the Yankees in a mostly unsuccessful attempt to get them to increase their offer, but at least there were never any reports (accurate or not) of his representatives initiating contact with the Red Sox.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights