Dec 13, 2010, 3:58 PM EDT
Hundreds of baseball bats are broken by pro baseball players over the course of a season in the Nippon Professional Baseball league. The bits & pieces don’t go to waste, however, instead being reborn into cool chopsticks carrying NPB team names, colors and logos.
They’re called “Kattobashi,” a play on words from “KATTOBASE!!,” Japanese for “make a big hit” which is a term often heard (and heard often) at the ballpark. Also heard often is the crack of the bat – not only against the stitched horsehide sphere.
I don’t have much to say about this apart from “cool.” Also, I want to know if Japanese newspapers include the price of Kattobashi chopsticks in the calculations for their bogus, trend-piece “what it costs to take a family to the ballpark” stories. You know, like the U.S. ones in which they include eight hot dogs, four large sodas, four boxes of popcorn, two replica jerseys, two giant foam “we’re number one!” fingers and tickets along the rail right next to the dugout, all before lamenting that a family can’t afford to go to the ballpark anymore.
You know, the essentials.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)