Dec 13, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
Apparently general manager Theo Epstein and company really liked Minnesota’s bullpen down the stretch, because Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports that the Red Sox “have their sights focused on” Twins free agent relievers Brian Fuentes, Jesse Crain, and Matt Guerrier.
None would require giving up a draft pick to sign, as Guerrier is the only Type A free agent and the Twins forfeited any compensation by declining to offer him arbitration.
Joaquin Benoit and Scott Downs have seemingly set the market for top setup men at three years and $15-16 million, but Edes notes that “the Red Sox were not willing to go to three years on Downs.” However, because Downs is a Type A free agent who was offered arbitration it would have meant giving him a three-year contract and losing a draft pick.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)