Dec 13, 2010, 11:16 AM EST
Apparently general manager Theo Epstein and company really liked Minnesota’s bullpen down the stretch, because Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports that the Red Sox “have their sights focused on” Twins free agent relievers Brian Fuentes, Jesse Crain, and Matt Guerrier.
None would require giving up a draft pick to sign, as Guerrier is the only Type A free agent and the Twins forfeited any compensation by declining to offer him arbitration.
Joaquin Benoit and Scott Downs have seemingly set the market for top setup men at three years and $15-16 million, but Edes notes that “the Red Sox were not willing to go to three years on Downs.” However, because Downs is a Type A free agent who was offered arbitration it would have meant giving him a three-year contract and losing a draft pick.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)