The White Sox sign Brian Bruney

Dec 13, 2010, 2:53 PM EDT

Brian Bruney

The Chicago White Sox signed reliever Brian Bruney to a minor league contract. He had a 7.64 ERA for the Nationals this past season and no one else gave him a shot once they dumped him, so I can see why the White Sox wanted to get this one nailed down before Christmas.

I dunno, maybe they’re bored. I’m bored. Like everyone else, I’m just waiting around for Cliff Lee to sign. Otherwise, nothing is happening.  I’m so desperate for real baseball news right now that I’m willing to soften my stance on “Mystery Team” rumors.  Heck, let’s go all-in with this:

Heard this: a mystery team is rumored to be signing an unknown player. Nothing is imminent, however, and terms are undisclosed at this time.

Ahhhh … that’s better.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 13, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Update: Unknown player has stated to a undisclosed source that he is only looking for 8 year or longer contract offers. Also, recently the player was overheard talking to his previously undisclosed wife about his alleged desire to play on the east coast or for a team with “serious” playoff ambitions. His agent has noted that six teams have ten-year offers on the table, but hasn’t said which mystery teams those may be.

2. phukyouk - Dec 13, 2010 at 3:45 PM

thanks for that. i just spit Hot Choclate out my nose b/c of you.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Thanks for that…I’m off to get some hot cocoa on this blistery Chicago afternoon.

3. fivetoolmike - Dec 13, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I keep refreshing mlbtraderumors.com and hoping to see something other than “Padres Reach Agreement With Dustin Moseley” at the top. When do pitchers and catchers report again?

4. Old Gator - Dec 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Brown Bunny? Wasn’t that the film where…uh…

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act