The Yankees are close to landing Russell Martin

Dec 13, 2010, 11:58 AM EST

Russell Martin mask

I can’t remember the last time so much has been said so early in the offseason about so minor a free agent as Russell Martin, but I guess that’s what happens when Boston and New York get involved.  The latest: Buster Olney says that he believes the Yankees will soon reach an agreement with Russell Martin.*

Martin retains some on-base skills, but his average and power have dissipated in recent years. Last year he hit .248/.347/.332 before going out with a hip injury.

In New York he’d be Jesus Montero insurance. At least that would be the hope, because it would mean that Montero won the starting job.  If he’s starting it means that things haven’t gone according to plan. Or I guess it could mean that Montero has been traded for some pitching in the wake of Cliff Lee signing with the Mystery Mastodons of Midland, Michigan in the Midwestern League.

In other news: Francisco Cervelli: call your agent.

*Note: in an early version of this I said that Buster reported that the Yankees and Martin would “soon announce an agreement.”  That was obviously me reading Buster’s tweet too quickly and sloppily. Apologies.

1. joshv02 - Dec 13, 2010 at 12:10 PM

“The latest: Buster Olney says that the Yankees will soon announce an agreement with Russell Martin.”

Craig: That isn’t what the link to Olney says. Only simply says that they’ve been aggressive and he wouldn’t be surprised if they had an agreement, not that they will soon announce one.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Er, yeah. I had better fix that. Sorry. Moving too fast today.

• joshv02 - Dec 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I recommend dripping the coffee directly into your arm via IV; very effective.

2. Charles Gates - Dec 13, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Gonna post this here because.
    Craig, regarding the open air Target field, did any of the Minnesota Twins pro-domers ever say that a roof in MN is a good idea because it would protect the players from the cold and snow and let them play games they other wise wouldn’t be able to?

3. Jonny 5 - Dec 13, 2010 at 12:22 PM

What I’ve seen of this guy, he has a crappy attitude. He’s a perfect fit in NY.

4. yankees1996 - Dec 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM

This maybe the first move in a trade scenario for a starting pitcher. The Yankees may package a couple of their guys together along with a couple of prospects for either Garza or Greinke.

5. jkay123 - Dec 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Jonny5, there isn’t a Yankee article you won’t comment on. Put some pants on, get out of your parent’s basement in suburban Phi, and find a hobby.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 13, 2010 at 12:51 PM

What??? are you on drugs? Or just another a-hole?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Hey. I was just wondering…there’s a post about Lee and the Phillies over yonder, but it mentions the Yankees. Is it okay if I comment on that one?

Oh, damn, it looks like I commented on a Yankees post AGAIN!!!!!! 100,000 apologies, but I didn’t think there was any other way to contact you for permission….

6. Amsterdamned - Dec 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I like Martin. Sorry to see him go from LA, but he needed a fresh start. I hope he does well and can regain some semblance of his game.

7. jkay123 - Dec 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I’m an A-hole for sure, but for a fan who roots for another team, you can’t stop reading every yankee post and making some comment, and of course throwing a Philly remark in here and there. Worry about them.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 13, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I’m glad to bother a self described A-hole any chance I get actually. I will find great pleasure in knowing my posting will get your panties all bunched up. I love baseball, and as I am a Phillies fan, that in no way stops me from watching Yankees or any other team when I get the chance. And no internet” jkay123″ is going to stop me either. One of the more interesting aspects of the game to me is the off season where all these trades and signings take place, If you don’t like me, it’s noted. Now try to ignore as best you can, I’d hate to cause you hypertension or something.. Ha!

• Kevin S. - Dec 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Hey, waddaya know, some people actually care about what goes on in baseball beyond their own team’s territory! Jonny5 comments on most articles here, just like I do. It’s not because they must have some relevance to his Phillies or my Yankees – it’s because we’re both fans of baseball and like to weigh in. Lose the pacifier, dude.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 13, 2010 at 2:05 PM

This is the one I was telling you about on Thursday. He ripped into both of us and seems to have liked his “pants/parents’ basement” comment—but at least he seems to think you have a job and need a hobby (I apparently don’t even have a job, according to him :( )—that he recycled it four days later.

jkay123, if you have a problem with other baseball fans commenting on your team, feel free to go to a site dedicated to that team.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 13, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Yeah, I saw that. I was hoping he’d see it was irrational to expect baseball fans to not comment on baseball…… I guess I’m more optimistic about people than I should be..
        So how’s your basement? He couldn’t have been more wrong about mine. I converted mine into a mother in law suite. Because I’m a sucker.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 13, 2010 at 3:35 PM

With bars on the windows? That’s why you expanded that deck, isn’t it? To minimize the sunlight in the basement? You’re a genius, not a sucker!!!!!!

And my basement’s a literal crap hole—due to a cat spending most of its time down there.

• yankeesfanlen - Dec 13, 2010 at 1:15 PM

ALL us, loyal readers and commentors, read and comment on all Universe posts ALL day long. That’s why we visit here.
      If there were too many Metropolitans posts we wouldn’t read or comment and the place would vbe a bowling alley in the morning. Plus, the Blue Network would be more displeased than that time with Conan.
      Leave Jonny alone!

• Jonny 5 - Dec 13, 2010 at 1:38 PM

You’re getting good at that Len. I owe you one “leave a-rod alone!” post the next time someone rips into his Centuar-ish hind quarters with a riding crop (madonna?). ;)

8. yankees1996 - Dec 13, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Guys jkay123 is a YANKEES fan not like you guys and the rest of us that read ALL the stories and comment on the ones that interest or amuse us. He is also in need of some anger management courses it sounds like to me.

9. summerof67 - Dec 14, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Craig: Red Sox go after Mike Napoli if Martin gets away. Agree? Disagree? No opinion?

No way they can count on Saltalamacchia for 120+ games.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4514)
  2. M. Kemp (3625)
  3. M. Cabrera (2866)
  4. M. Morse (2549)
  5. J. Kang (2475)
  1. J. Upton (2437)
  2. A. Rios (2166)
  3. C. Headley (2149)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1994)
  5. J. Peavy (1834)