Jason Bay is back to full speed

Dec 14, 2010, 3:00 PM EST

Jason Bay wide

It’s not been the best day for Mets fans, what with the Phillies getting Cliff Lee, the Yankees fans making themselves feel better by saying “well, hell, at least we ain’t Mets fans,” and the Kansas City media realizing that, hey, Jeff Francoeur is a winner after all (who knew?!)

But there is some good news today: Jason Bay has resumed strenuous workouts, and tells ESPN New York that he hasn’t had a headache since September. Seems, then, that the effects of the concussion he suffered last July are past him and he’ll be back to normal for spring training. As far as the human spirit goes, that beats the heck out of Ruben Amaro signing a 12-game winner to a nine-figure deal.*

*I’m trying this whole “Cliff Lee is a 12-game winner” defense-mechanism on for size. What do you think? Plausible?  It almost makes me feel better, but it could go either way, really.

1. mcsnide - Dec 14, 2010 at 3:08 PM

The real question is whether Bay is in the best shape of his life?

All kidding aside, I hope he’s able to come back and have a good season this year. He’s a classy guy.

2. mcsnide - Dec 14, 2010 at 3:09 PM

As for the 12-game winner thing, I like it. Kinda like the Red Sox throwing $142 mil at an outfielder who averages 14 HR.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 14, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Six-Degrees-of-Cliff-Lee

1….never mind. He’s mentioned twice in this non-Lee post…

4. Gobias Industries - Dec 14, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Nice! Hear that Phillies fans?! Bay and his .294/.370/.516 line vs. the Phils are back and better than ever. You thought you were going to win the division by 73 games this year but little did you realize it was only going be by 71 games thanks to Bay. So suck on that.

On a completely unrelated note, can anyone tell me the best way to discreetly drown my sorrows in a fifth of vodka in the middle of a work day?

5. sdelmonte - Dec 14, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Seeing Lee not sign with the Yankees and watching at least some in the Yankees Universe act like they just got evicted is almost enough fun to ignore the Phillies Phantasic Phour.

Also, I can point at the 1989-90 Mets as proof that a great rotation is not the same as championship team. So all is not lost.

Any news on Morneau?

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Using wins to determine a pitcher’s value makes me as crazy as using RBI’s to determine a batter’s value. It’s like saying K-Rod is the best closer for having 62 saves in 2008. They’re imperfect stats.

Anywho, glad Bay’s better. I hope Morneau will have similar news this offseason too.

7. Jonny 5 - Dec 14, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Man it’s good the Phills didn’t pick up Feliciano huh??? They’d be scary uhh er..

8. dondbaseball - Dec 14, 2010 at 4:40 PM

1. Yeah, I do like the effort on the 12 game winner aspect
    2. You did forget to add the “I’m in the best shape of my life” caveat

Considering the seriousness of what we are still learning about concussions, I am happy for Bay who I would like to see have a good year. Met fans deserve something-this is like a stocking stuffer type gift as we know there will not be anything shiny and new under their tree…

9. dolinsky191 - Dec 14, 2010 at 5:04 PM

The Mets are cursed. They never should have left Shea.

10. jamie54 - Dec 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Great guy, yes, classy, yes, overpaid DEFINITELY. No matter, Mets, third place outside looking in.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester