Dec 14, 2010, 3:44 PM EDT
Last week Baltimore reportedly offered Kevin Gregg a two-year, $8 million deal, but apparently that wasn’t enough because according to Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com the Orioles have upped their two-year offer to $12 million and Gregg is close to accepting.
Gregg racked up 37 saves for the Blue Jays this year for his fourth straight season with at least 20 saves, but his 3.79 ERA during that time isn’t particularly impressive and he blew six save chances this year to finish with a success rate of 86 percent that’s basically right at the MLB average.
Gregg is a decent setup man who’s apparently about to be paid like something a step or two above that because he’s gotten a chance to rack up saves in the past.
According to McDonald the Nationals and Red Sox are also in the mix for Gregg, who would presumably compete for ninth-inning duties with Koji Uehara if he indeed opts to join the Orioles.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)