Dec 14, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
Non-tendered by the Blue Jays because they didn’t want to give him a raise on his 2010 salary of $1.08 million, Jeremy Accardo has signed a one-year deal with the Orioles worth … $1.08 million.
Accardo had a breakout season for the Blue Jays in 2007, saving 30 games with a 2.14 ERA in 67 innings, but he’s thrown a grand total of just 44 innings in the three seasons since then thanks to arm problems and ineffectiveness.
He spent most of this year at Triple-A, where his nice-looking 3.48 ERA and 24 saves masked an underwhelming 26/15 K/BB ratio and .306 opponents’ batting average in 44 innings.
At his peak Accardo averaged 94-95 miles per hour with his fastball, but his average velocity was down to 92.8 mph in a handful of appearances with the Blue Jays this year.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)