Dec 14, 2010, 9:13 PM EDT
UPDATE: NBC 10 in Philadelphia provides the photo evidence that Cliff Lee has arrived. And boy, do his eyes look mighty tired. Must be from staring at multiple offers of $100-plus million over the past week. Poor guy.
9:13 PM: You probably thought we were done talking about Cliff Lee, huh? Nope, not yet.
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, Lee will be in Philadelphia for a physical tomorrow and his deal with the Phillies could be officially announced later in the day.
Just to bring you up to speed, Lee and the Phillies have reportedly agreed to terms on a five-year, $120 million contract. The deal includes a $27.5 million vesting option for 2016 which could bring the total value of the contract to $135 million over six years.
According to the Associated Press, Lee will make $11 million next season, $21.5 million in 2012 and $25 million from 2013-2015. There’s a $12.5 million buyout on his vesting option for 2016.
In order for the option to vest, Lee must either log 200 innings in 2015 or 400 total innings between 2014 and 2015. He also must not finish the 2015 season on the disabled list because of a left shoulder or elbow injury.
And so, while Lee turned down more guaranteed money from the Rangers and Yankees, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that the southpaw’s $24 million annual average value (AAV) will be the highest ever for a pitcher on a multi-year contract.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (87)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)