Dec 14, 2010, 7:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: Not so fast on this one. Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the A’s have talked to Harden, but that he might have better offers elsewhere. Meanwhile, Renck writes that he hasn’t confirmed his information with the A’s.
So, nothing to see here. At least not yet.
6:56 PM: Here’s an interesting one.
Sources are telling Troy Renck of the Denver Post that Rich Harden is signing with the Athletics.
Harden was originally drafted by the Athletics in 2000 and posted a 3.42 ERA over parts of six seasons with the club before being traded to the Cubs in July of 2008. While Harden can be electric at times, health problems have dogged him throughout his career. The Rangers found out first hand this past season, as the 29-year-old right-hander missed time with a glute strain and shoulder tendinitis while posting a disappointing 5.58 ERA over 20 games (18 starts). He averaged 7.3 K/9 and 6.1 BB/9, both career-worsts.
It’s hard to count on Harden for much, but he’s well worth signing to an incentive-laden deal, with a legitimate chance to rebound in the pitcher-friendly Coliseum. Assuming this goes though, Harden will likely compete with Brandon McCarthy, Josh Outman, Tyson Ross and Bobby Cramer for the final spot in the starting rotation.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 20
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)