UPDATE: Blanton to the Red Sox may not be happening

Dec 14, 2010, 9:09 AM EDT

blanton

UPDATE: Now ESPN Boston and the Boston Globe are hearing that a Joe Blanton deal is not close and may not, in fact, happen.

For the next 24 hours, I think baseball is going to be like the people of Los Angeles in the movie “1941.”  Panicking. Seeing things behind every corner. Americans fighting Americans.  And if there’s one thing I can’t stand seeing, it’s Americans fighting Americans.

Or does no one besides me remember that flick?

8:47 AM: Joe Blanton probably feels a bit unwanted right now. That may change soon as multiple sources are reporting that the Red Sox and Phillies are deep in discussions to get Blanton.

This move is probably essential for the Phillies, in that they’ll certainly want to unload some of the $17 million Blanton is still owed. Far too much for a [gulp] number five starter.

I joked last night that the Red Sox should snag Blanton simply to make it more likely that the Yankees wouldn’t get Lee, and that seems to actually be happening.  I worry about Blanton’s performance in the AL East — he allows way too many base runners to hold his own against much, much stronger competition — but the Sox have had Dice-K for several years now and they have somehow survived.  Having both Blanton and Dice-K is gonna make them really, really hard to watch, however.

How about this: the Yankees need pitching! The Sox should make a very public offer of Dice-K to New York.  It would never ever happen, but the screw-you value of such a move — to both the Yankees and Dice-K — would be unrivaled in baseball history.

1. Jonny 5 - Dec 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM

I like Big Joe. I can’t help myself. I wish he didn’t have to go. But what’s the deal?

This is Ruben Amaro folks, I smell a 3 team deal in the making. Prospects?

Is Ruben going to snag up another pitcher in a trade? I think it’s a strong possibility.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Yeah, I was kidding…. Besides liking Joe.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Joe will be alright…I hear Ruben is giving him an unlimited supply of cheesesteaks—or Schmitters.

2. professorperry - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:01 AM

If the Red Sox are taking the contract, they really shouldn’t bother sending anything much to the Phillies. Theo et al. know this.

3. Adam - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Nobody should send the Phillies much of anything for Blanton, even if the Phillies eat the contract. Everyone knows the Phillies are hard up and need to do something with him. The bidding should start with “Yeah, we’ll just take him from you if you pay the contract.”

• Brian - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I feel like if they’re going to be paying him anyway, just dump Kendrick in a field somewhere and let Blanton hold down the 5th spot.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:23 AM

“Yeah, we’ll just take him from you if you pay the contract.”

oookay, then keep him. That’s easy. Then trade Kendrick for some more bench guys.. Or send him down to AAA..

• Adam - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I’m not saying that you aren’t right, I was just making the point that I don’t think you’re going to find many GMs willing to give up much since they know the Phillies are in a bad spot right now. The bidding will start low, I believe.

• Brian - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I see it more like the Phillies send Blanton and his salary to some team for a 54th round draft pick. It’s a steal and good all around.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Hell, trade Kendrick for an umbrella for Kristen on the off chance that the Phightins need to go to New York.

4. Brian - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:18 AM

UPDATE: Craig Calcaterra tweets that a second “Mystery Team” has emerged in the bidding for Joe Blanton. Sources indicate Burger King has submitted an offer for the portly right-hander…The Burger King himself has declined to comment.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

That’s because nobody wants to go anywhere near the creepy-ass Burger King.

• ta192 - Dec 14, 2010 at 5:34 PM

You noticed that too…very, very strange apparition for a corporation to use as it’s signature

5. proudlycanadian - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I want to see a bidding war between NY and Boston for Blanton.

6. jkcalhoun - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Craig Calcaterra, meet Glenn Erickson, whose site is another of the few that I regularly visit. He remembers 1941.

7. BC - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Why in the heck would the Red Sox want Blanton? They already have 6 starters.

8. RickyB - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:40 AM

I happened to just watch 1941 last week just for the heck of it. Still funny, but not as funny when I first watched it 25+ years ago.

• BC - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Slim Pickens had the best line in the 1941 movie. I’ll leave it at that.

• pisano - Dec 14, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Good BC, I remember it well, but not politically correct today.

• Old Gator - Dec 14, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Yeah, he did. He also had the best profile shot while he was squatting on the porcelain goddess. But what of that. That film was such a bloated mess that neither Pickens nor Belushi could save it. And by Belushi, I don’t mean John, but his namesake, our bagle hound of that esteemed name. My Belushi could do something that the one in the film couldn’t do: he can keep me awake at night by howling at the possum in the papaya tree.

When I was a kid, Life magazine – perhaps this civilization’s last great non-digital culture builder – ran a terrific series on American if the Axis had won WWII. The cover was a map of the US showing how Germany and Japan would have divided up their occupation zones. That would have made a better movie script than 1941, methinks.

9. sarahpalinhater - Dec 14, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Why is everyone so down on Blanton ? I mean the guy makes less the next 2 seasons then Lackey will make next season,,and can anyone say Lackey is that much better ? Or what about Beckett ? what was he…6-6 last year with a way higher ERA. Okay, maybe Boston has enough starters,,,but Blanton is not that bad a pitcher. It’s just that Philly has the youngster Kendrick, and wants him to be a starter. Blanton in my mind should NOT be given away by Philly for nothing. Somewhere next season a team will suffer an Injury,,and would KILL for a Inning eater like Blanton.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 14, 2010 at 12:02 PM

And there are some of us wondering WHY they want KK to be that starter. He’s consistently inconsistent—and when he’s consistent, it’s not the good kind. Blanton would be a much better 5 than KK. Hell, he might even be as high as a 3 somewhere else.

But the Phightins need some space to get a starting RF and/or a righthanded bat or two. Werth will be missed, but he chased the check to DC, and has to live with it—now the Phils need to replace him.

(I like your handle, too.)

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3956)