Dec 14, 2010, 6:28 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse, Prior’s deal with the Yankees is worth $750,000 if he makes the team. He is also willing to go to the minor leagues if he doesn’t make the club during spring training.
Jon Heyman of SI.com writes that he could make $750,000 in additional incentives, meanwhile Joel Sherman of the New York Post says he could make an additional $800,000 based on innings pitched. You get the point. He’s gotta pitch to get paid.
6:13 PM: That Brian Cashman still has it, man! He just outbid the Rangers and signed Mark Prior to a minor league contract, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com.
In all seriousness, before you honestly think that this is part of the team’s “Plan B,” remember that we first mentioned the Bombers’ interest in the oft-injured right-hander last week. Now that it’s official, he’ll be reunited with his former pitching coach Larry Rothschild.
Prior, who is now 30 years old, hasn’t thrown a pitch in the major leagues since 2006, but he began yet another comeback in 2010, even pitching a scoreless inning with Triple-A Oklahoma City at the end of the season after signing a minor league deal with the Rangers. He’s hoping to get his career back on track as a relief pitcher.
The Yankees obviously aren’t counting on anything — nobody would — but hey, what’s the harm?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)