Dec 14, 2010, 6:28 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse, Prior’s deal with the Yankees is worth $750,000 if he makes the team. He is also willing to go to the minor leagues if he doesn’t make the club during spring training.
Jon Heyman of SI.com writes that he could make $750,000 in additional incentives, meanwhile Joel Sherman of the New York Post says he could make an additional $800,000 based on innings pitched. You get the point. He’s gotta pitch to get paid.
6:13 PM: That Brian Cashman still has it, man! He just outbid the Rangers and signed Mark Prior to a minor league contract, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com.
In all seriousness, before you honestly think that this is part of the team’s “Plan B,” remember that we first mentioned the Bombers’ interest in the oft-injured right-hander last week. Now that it’s official, he’ll be reunited with his former pitching coach Larry Rothschild.
Prior, who is now 30 years old, hasn’t thrown a pitch in the major leagues since 2006, but he began yet another comeback in 2010, even pitching a scoreless inning with Triple-A Oklahoma City at the end of the season after signing a minor league deal with the Rangers. He’s hoping to get his career back on track as a relief pitcher.
The Yankees obviously aren’t counting on anything — nobody would — but hey, what’s the harm?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)