The official HBT Cliff Lee recap

Dec 14, 2010, 5:30 PM EST

San Francisco Giants v Texas Rangers, Game 5 Getty Images

It’s been about 18 hours since the Cliff Lee deal went down. I slept for about three and a half of those, but the rest of that time my HBT buddies and I have been cranking the Cliff Lee coverage.  In case you missed some, here’s everything.  If this doesn’t interest you, at least save it someplace in case someone asks you to write a term paper on the subject of unhinged obsession. May come in handy!

There will be a lot more stuff to spew out of this story as the day goes on.  And Tiffany and I will be dusting off the video equipment later as we talk about it all ins a rare offseason edition of HBT Extra.

So like they say, keep it locked in to HBT and rip off the dial!

1. Richard In Big D - Dec 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Just an observation about the whole thing in general: Of the 22 articles that turn up in page 1 of HBT (at least on MY screen), 15 are about Cliff Lee, and 7 are about everything else baseball that’s going on. I live in Dallas. and even I think that’s overkill. People say that he’s the piece that got the Rangers to the WS last year, but they started the year WITHOUT him, just like they will this year. It’s not the end of the world, people! It was Wilson, and Hunter, and Lewis, and Kinsler, and Young, and Hamilton, and Andrus, and Murphy, and Washington etc. that got the Rangers to a point where somebody like Lee could make a difference. Everyone I named, and many I didn’t name, will be back for 2011, and there’s no reason we can’t replay the season right up to the point where we started losing WS games, and then change things up and win.

• Chris Fiorentino - Dec 14, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I am surprised that there are 7 stories about everything else going on. Why? Because what the heck else is going on? It’s the middle of December, my nuts are frosty because its about 15 degrees out there, and Santa is coming in 11 days. Without Cliff Lee, there would be probably be about 7 stories total on your front page from yesterday.

2. BC - Dec 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM

This just in. The Yankees have traded their entire farm system to the Giants for Tim Lincecum.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

THAT would truly make me cry.

• Old Gator - Dec 14, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Cashman ought to be on the horn with Larry Beinfest about Ricky Nolasco. The way the Feesh have been giving ballplayers away this weenter, plus it’s Kreesmis – and after all, greed is the reason for the season, isn’t it? – Scrooge McLoria and his apparent brain abcess should have been the first thing that leaped to mind when Mrs. Lee’s threat to walk out if Hubby moved her to New York caught the wires.

• gt929 - Dec 14, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Since it’s Christmas, why not ask for Josh Johnson? My squeaky little voice has been trying to get Nolan Ryan’s attention on that subject for a week or two.

3. Old Gator - Dec 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Craig, you’re being too hard on yourself over dissing Heyman. The guy has been an agents’ whore masquerading as a journalist for years. A little dose of having his lost credibility rubbed in his face, even when he managed to be sort of correct, is hardly unjustified by the history. I appreciate that your own integrity is important to you, and I suspect that the more time, distance and growing indebtedness you put between yourself and your days as the second coming, parsed liberally and twice removed, of William Kunstler the more that will matter and the more often you will feel compelled to apologize. Of course, if alopecia afflicted the chin and cheeks and you didn’t have to look at yourself in the morning but could simply tape an enlargement of your photo of the Dolphin Hotel over the mirror and be grateful that you didn’t resemble it, you could just shed the last vestiges of guilt and get on unreservedly with the good work of Heyman-bashing again. It’s much more fun than sitting in the confessional.

4. kevinrohling - Dec 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Test

5. sethgordon11 - Dec 14, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Hey Dave G… sorry this is totally off topic but you started it. In answer to your question “Do penny auctions really work”? (These ads are all over Espn and NFL now Quibbidz.com etc)…Well you know there are literally millions of Dollars being spent at online stores, and although there cheaper than the high street, penny auction sites like SwipeBay.com have some way of charging the winner some incredibly small amount. By the way, I personally won a few things and ended up saving on everything. Go to SwipeBay.com

6. billybeaneismyhero - Dec 14, 2010 at 6:15 PM

And I thought me writing 19 in two months on my blog was overkill. :) Seriously though. Great job keeping up on all things Lee (and Jeter) over the last couple of months. I can’t follow Twitter at work, so this site was a godsend. I don’t know how I would’ve gotten through eight hours at a Federal job without you guys. Thanks for helping me waste countless hours on the taxpayer dime.

7. Utley's Hair - Dec 14, 2010 at 6:33 PM

sethgordon11, what the hell is that?

• gt929 - Dec 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Looks like spam to me.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 14, 2010 at 7:53 PM

I thought that crap was supposed to be blocked from this—unlike a lot of other comment boards.

• mtner77 - Dec 15, 2010 at 2:37 AM

“sethgordon11, what the hell is that?”

“Looks like spam to me.”

It may have been spam, but it is still more coherent than 99% of Gator’s comments. See above.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5842)